What's Ayumi's vocal range? - Page 2 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Enquiries

Notices

Old 1st May 2006, 05:48 AM
Naturally Initiate

I think somewhere around the upper altos and lower sopranos. From her recent songs she seems to be going into her lower range. I think her voice deepened since I am... Era...

Right now I would say she's an alto, but a higher alto.

It's an endless story, always shining
Always, I want to tell you, forever
lj icon-journal

Old 1st May 2006, 07:00 AM
As if.. Initiate

i think the highest note she can hit without go'n into falsetto is a C#. (the "i" in "shiroi" - CAROLS is a C#. she can hit that. the "no" in "hana no" - Moments is a D. she goes into falsetto. sometimes she can strain it, but i'd say her most comfortable range would be ?--C#.) the lowest i'm not sure of.
Old 10th May 2006, 11:54 PM
TO BE Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking proud
I think "II Soprano" and "I Soprano" and "II Alto" and "I Alto" aren't based on the notes that you can hit, but whether you are able to do harmonies well or the notes that you're most comfortable with.
It depends on the colour of your voice and how high or low the same note sounds sung by different ppl with different kinda voices. Ayu is soprano, she doesn't sing very high not because she can't but because it wouldn't really sound very appealing. I'm a tenor and D sounds really high and it's not, when i sing ayu's songs I sound really high so I either lower the chords or make "terceras" (i don't really know how u say that in english) that is not singing notes but chords
Old 17th May 2006, 08:02 PM
No way to say Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkrepublic
i think the highest note she can hit without go'n into falsetto is a C#. (the "i" in "shiroi" - CAROLS is a C#. she can hit that. the "no" in "hana no" - Moments is a D. she goes into falsetto. sometimes she can strain it, but i'd say her most comfortable range would be ?--C#.) the lowest i'm not sure of.
Yeah, she also did hit that E flat in I am... and Dearest for example, but those were older days. (And I guess she really did struggle to hit that E in AT 02.) Not much though. lol

I think she definetly sings higher than me. However, there are some days when I can hit the D in Moments, E flat in I am..., sometimes HAPPY ENDING.

She seems to sing low a lot. She is definetly not a Soprano I I've got to say. She's probably like my cousin: Soprano II on some days, Alto I on the other days. *double takes what she just typed* Zomg, that's like me!! *dies*
Old 29th March 2012, 08:34 AM
monochrome Initiate

im curious bout it too...

Old 29th March 2012, 01:53 PM
SURREAL Initiate

usually pop singers have the vocal range of 1 or 2 octaves, but it's hard to say about her because in some songs she really strains and forces her voice. But she's definitely not a soprano. mezzosoprano perhaps.
Old 31st March 2012, 03:28 PM
July 1st Initiate

Wow this thread is six years old!

Anyway, I'm curious as well. I don't understand the technical names, but I think it's safe to say she now reaches much less high-notes than she used to (well d'uh, Sherlock). Anyway, where was she highest? Was it WHATEVER? Fly high? Connected? She reached the high notes almost effortlessly then. Her recent song which came close to having high notes must be progress, I think?

As for the lowest notes, I think she's having difficulties performing them live, too. The bridges of Lady Dynamite and Last angel were not sung at all (I assume this will be the case with Shake It♥, as well, in the future).

Regardless of the obstacles, her determination to continue singing is amazing. Though I think it might affect her remaining voice.
Old 2nd April 2012, 06:04 AM
Dolls Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardusties View Post
i'd say like 3 or 4 octaves :3
no frickin' way! maybe around 2-2.5 octaves.

Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another...

Old 2nd April 2012, 06:31 AM
Endless sorrow Initiate

I believe she's a mezzo soprano with somewhere around a 2.5 octave range...
I'm a mezzo as well and my range is basically hers..

Something happened with her singing technique that altered her range - she got into some kind of bad habit, now she can't sing those higher notes like she used to. But I believe they're still in her range, albeit uncomfortably. We hear some of this in progress -- it's strained.
The high note range has to be "unlocked" again./

Because she basically never stops singing, I'm guessing any mistakes she's had haven't been fixed... they just keep snowballing!! So even after she had that vocal coach during her early era, after that, she fell into the wrong technique and it was never really fixed..

You don't know how beautiful you are. ♡

Set by ownsarai.

Last edited by zellyx; 2nd April 2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 2nd April 2012, 05:26 PM
SURREAL Initiate

^Yup, I believe you. She's definitely mezzo like I suspected. I'm contralto, I can't reach her high notes, but songs like marionette I can struggle through. Usually I sing her songs in a lower key.

I dunno what the heck happened to her voice after RnrC, I think she sounded pretty much the same in GUILTY/RnrC/NL, but in Lovesongs it's like a different person singing.
Old 2nd April 2012, 05:41 PM
I am... Initiate

Ayumi's chestvoice range goes from F3 to F5, exactly 2 octaves(which isn't bad a for a Pop singer at all, Adele has 1.8 octaves chestvoice and is usually considered good, Lady Gaga is a bit over 2 octaves but practically speaks her lower notes and struggles at the high ones etc.), she might be able to go lower but I can't think of an example of that actually happening. However I don't think she ever belted F5s well live(she has hit them live, but not well), she does do some good E5s live though, so only one note lower.
From around 2005 to 2010 she was unable to hit her high notes(she does sing high at times there, but it's headvoice and mixed voice rather than chestvoice and anyone can reach those notes in headvoice), but she regained them and is better at them than before now, great D5s in BRILLANTE for example and a couple great Eb5s and E5s throughout POWER of MUSIC, notes she avoided ever after AT0304.
That makes her a Mezzosoprano, but she was more amongst the range of an Alto for some time before gaining back her range.

The high notes in kanariya are F5s, they ARE part of what she can sing, however back in 1999 she struggled a lot with them and kanariya is simply FILLED with such high notes, that's why it's so struggled. Some of them are mixed voice rather than chest voice there, too.

Last edited by isthisLOL?; 2nd April 2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 2nd April 2012, 06:34 PM
SURREAL Initiate

^I was waiting for your post Thanks for info
Old 5th May 2012, 08:40 PM
Kana×Shin

does Ayu even have vocal range?
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectdeath View Post
i've always wondered about her range as well... can anyone compare it to anyone else?
alan's highest note is C#6(Falsetto/Head Register) by 4 and half octave down to ayu's...

Last edited by Kana×Shin; 5th May 2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 7th May 2012, 01:30 PM
monochrome Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kana×Shin View Post
does Ayu even have vocal range?

alan's highest note is C#6(Falsetto/Head Register) by 4 and half octave down to ayu's...
she's singer then she surely have it...

Old 7th May 2012, 06:04 PM
Beautiful Day Initiate

^But her voice changes so much that pinpointing her vocal range would be a pain.
Next year it may be completely different.
In ten years she'll sound almost unrecognizable (lookin' at you ASFXX)
Old 8th May 2012, 08:41 AM
SURREAL Initiate

isthisLOL? pointed out pretty clearly what her range is + that she's a mezzosoprano. And every human being has a vocal range lol
Old 8th May 2012, 09:41 AM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious n Bold View Post
^But her voice changes so much that pinpointing her vocal range would be a pain.
Next year it may be completely different.
In ten years she'll sound almost unrecognizable (lookin' at you ASFXX)
She is basically hitting +- the same notes using different techniques^^

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 3rd August 2012, 02:35 AM
POWDER SNOW Initiate

In simple terms, she's a soprano. Some people think maybe an alto, nope.