Your Love Songs reviews!!! - Page 7 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 20th December 2010, 02:42 AM
rainy day Initiate

So I do like the album tracks but I have to say, coupled with the album I like the single tracks even more now (as far as crossroad, Sweet Season, Last Angel and blossom go).

blossom > crossroad > Sweet Season = Last angel > November > Do it again > Sending mail > Thank U > Love Song > Like a doll > MOON > Virgin Road

The main problem I have with this album is a lot of stuff that makes up the chorus of each song seems like it's an epic part that would lead up to the chorus. So what would have been an epic pre-chorus section becomes a somewhat mediocre chorus.

Last edited by Zeke.; 20th December 2010 at 02:46 AM.
Old 20th December 2010, 02:49 AM
glitter Initiate

Heard it for the first time today! I'm really surprised! This album really has some classical influences for sure, and I'm loving that!!

The highlights of the album are do it again and November to me They dominate the entire feeling of the album, and then with Virgin road after is just like POW!! take that! WOW! xD

It feels a bit like this album should be called Aphrodite or something

Anyway, I'm very happy with everything! The interludes this time are really good and easy to listen to!

Thank U was a surprise too!! I wasn't expecting it to be soooo goood :O I'm happy
Old 20th December 2010, 03:18 AM
forgiveness Initiate

I feel like everything I feel about this album has already been said XD

Well, the good news is that I LIKE IT!! And I really think it's MUCH BETTER than Rock'n'Roll Circus. Rock'n'Roll Circus, A Song for XX, and RAINBOW are my bottom three albums

I'm not sure where this album goes yet. It's too soon to tell. I agree, this is one cohesive album, but it makes sense I suppose, as almost all of the songs were composed by the same guy. I'm very, very surprised that Ayu x TK worked out so well in the end. I was afraid his influence would be TOO MUCH and Ayu wouldn't have that "Ayu" sound to her songs, but I was very wrong. Ayu's arrangers are some of the best, I swear.

The album tracks are absolutely stronger than the singles. Sadly, I was afraid this was going to be one of the worst albums from her yet, since I was not at all impressed by her singles this year. I'm glad Ayu surprised me yet again!

This album is definitely cohesive, AND it sounds very mature as well. I haven't recalled such a mature sound from her since from the days of LOVEppears, DUTY and I am... Even though she was 10 years younger back in those days, those albums really had a mature sound to them.

Her voice, for the most part, sounds decent, but yikes, some of the notes she hits in Thank U and a couple other songs sounds like it HURTS. Still, an improvement from R'n'RC vocals.

Overall score for this album, I think would be a 7.5/10 for now. Strongest songs: Last Angel, Do It Again; Weakest songs: Thank U, Sweet Season
Old 20th December 2010, 03:56 AM
A BALLADS Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiko View Post
Just everyone, state your opinion, and be strong in your convictions~ No one can take how you feel away from you, unless you let them.
Exactly what Ayu says in Love Song!

"Life is boring if you don’t have anything
That you can’t compromise on
(Life) would be meaningless
Wouldn’t it?"

Signature presented by the amazing majrakun <3 thanks photobucket
MY
Twitter | last.fm | Facebook | Tumblr

Old 20th December 2010, 04:02 AM
SCAR Initiate

Anyone think the rip we have is not that great? I felt the instrumentals sound very muffled. I compared a VBR rip of Last Angel from the single to the rip from the album and the single mp3 was hands down much better quality, in sound and bass.

Some songs don't feel like they have the kick they should. For example love song, the kick drum is so faint and muffled. I don't think that's how it will sound when listening to the actual CD.

I might be picky, but when it comes to Ayu, I want to hear the finished product how it should sound.
Old 20th December 2010, 04:15 AM
End of the World Initiate

I just heard it. I definitely like it better than RnR Circus and it flows better than Guilty.
To me it actually sounds like her older sound; it sounds like something that would fit between Love appears and Duty. Maybe its the electro beats but there is still a lot of originality to the sound.
There's no album track I hate(now), but I dislike November (the vocals are killing me and its too repetitive) and the instrumentals. Singles wise I still HATE MOON and Blossom is more slightly tolerable and someone before said that SDW live is better, and in a way it was but she was so choked up that it annoyed me.
Oh and Thank you, is HONEY + independent. Its the same beats and everything la la laaaaaaaaaaaa~
Old 20th December 2010, 04:30 AM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Spoiler:
Love song- This has a "GREEN" vibe written all over! I wasn't fond of it at first... But I listened over and over again & it became one of my favorite songs of the album!! (*^^*)

crossroad- The only thing I have to say about this song is this has old school BSB written all over! The end!

MOON- To be honest, I wasn't fond of this song at first.. But after listening to the Orchestra version of this song, I fell in love with it!! (^_^)

sending mail- Ooo!!! Eerie but strong!! I like it! When I listened to the preview, I mentioned that it was going to be my favorite and it is!!!

Last angel- Love it, love it, love it!!! It's still a fusion of True light+Naturally for me! XDD

insomnia- It reminds me of Marionette -prelude-, but fused with visual kei sound! lol

Like a doll- I love this song!!! It's like Marionette and Dolls had a baby!!!

Aria- (I'm gonna sound like a B'z fangirl! lol) Friends+Prologue (that's all I can say! )

blossom- No matter how many times I listen to this song, it never gets old!!!

Thank U- My least favorite song of the album... It really lacks melody and a chorus.

Sweet Season- I didn't like this song at first... But after a few lessons, it grew on me. For some reasons, it reminds me of Honey from Cardcaptor Sakura!

overture- It sounds like a song straight out of FF9!! XDD Either way, I like it!

do it again- When I listened to the preview, I hated it! >.< But watching the PV preview for this song changed my mind... But either way, I NEVER expected that it would be my favorite song from this album! It's amazing!!!

November- The instruments in this song reminds me of the old AOV albums.. I LOOVE this song! It's like SEASONS+Who...! (^_^) I think ayu might end the concert with this song!

Virgin Road- I've said this once and I'll say it again.. This song has a B'z influence (wither anyone was listening for it or not)! It's like Eien no Tsubasa+GREEN+Days... 'nuff said!

SEVEN DAYS WAR is the perfect album ending (though, I wish she could of added an outro for this album)! It's very raw and I'm kind of glad she covered it!! ^^ Either way, I love all of the songs on this album in exception of Thank U! It's like I am... ~part 2~! (^_^) Ok, I'm done here! lol

Set created by Yoake
B'z thread blog twitter facebook livejournal last.fm

Last edited by YuriChan; 20th December 2010 at 04:34 AM.
Old 20th December 2010, 04:34 AM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Love Song: Nice piano intro, over all a strong song that I've listened to over and over. Vocals make me feel some sort of powerful feeling. I'm liking it!
9/10

crossroad: It's not too bad, it sounds really familiar for some reason. I can't place it, but overall not a too strong track for me.
6.5/10

MOON: Another one of those songs that seems familiar. Maybe because it's very "Ayu"ish for me. I like this one better than crossroad though.
7.5/10

Sending Mail: Absolutely one of my FAVORITES on this album. The beat is good, something that perks me up really. Her voice works for this song, and the overall feeling she is able to pull across.
9.5/10

Last Angel: Love the string instrumental intro, very lovely and soothing. Then we get into a little more beat and a build up, gets me a bit excited and really grabs my attention. I love the last note "bwooom" right before she starts to singing. Another favorite for me!
10/10

Insomnia: I may be one of the only people who doesn't really care so much for the little interludes. They're great for shows, but album filler as far as I am confirmed. I was interested in the name, merely because I have insomnia often myself. Musically, this isn't bad, it will go well at her next tour. For a interlude.. I'd give it..
6.5/10

Like A Doll: I love Ayu's accented English. I really have a thing for accents though so that could be why. This is one of my favorites on the album as well. I like the beat too the music, and the general feeling I get when I hear it.
9.5/10

Aria: ANOTHER darn interlude? Already? Why? It's not too bad, it's pretty enough. This'll have some cutesy video on her tour vid screens. Probably with some long pretty dress and her acting a little over the top cutesy..
5/10

blossom: Not too bad, I think I shouldn't have listened to it before. As it feels a little, old now? I have no idea. Not overly powerful really. Words are good, singing is good, music is pretty nice. Not too weak, not too strong. Still better than another interlude!
7/10

Thank U: I ... will be honest, I couldn't be bothered to listen through this the whole entire way. It may grow on me, but right now, I'm not too great with it. It'll be one of those songs at the end of a concert. Where she introduces everyone during, wearing something sparkly and being cute. Not that that's a BAD thing. But it just seems one of those 'closing' songs. Why is it 10th on the album?? For some reason I just don't feel it fitting much in here. It's almost like HONEY, but I like HONEY better. She's got to watch the "LA LA!!"'s at times.. there are some way too nasally here. Makes me shudder to hear.
4.5/10

Sweet Season: Another one that sounds too familiar. Reminds me of Sunrise and Sunset... meh for me. Not too great over all. Not sure why I'm not more into this type of song. I didn't finish it either..
5/10

Overture: One of the reasons I dislike Ayu's albums at times, there are too many interludes. Surprise the fans and JUST use them at the shows or something... Otherwise.. meh. It's rather pretty though, and will have a nice soft beautiful lovey type or sad type screen playing during her concert...
6/10

Do It Again: I love the piano intro! More Ayu-English. Love it like usual. Don't mind the repeating at all for once, usually I get annoyed at repetitiveness. This is one of my favorite tracks as well on this, loved it from the short PV, and still like it now. Favorite part of all of it is probably the Ayu-English.
8.5/10

November: I don't like how this starts off sounding like a cheap midi-file to me. Not at first anyway. The intro is a little weak for me. I wish we had a music video for this. I would love to see what Ayu has in her head when she does this song. Something feels sad, but hopeful in her voice. I don't mind it too much, but the song isn't too strong.
7/10

Virgin Road: I love this song, have since the music video. I have the instrumental and I love to sing along to it. One of those songs I just want to listen to over and over again. Sweet, a loving feeling, strength, a good song for this album over all.
9.5/10

Seven Days War: I'm not sure about this song. Was this recorded at a show? I do like the way her vocals are, the feeling she puts behind it isn't too bad. This might be one of those songs that absolutely pulls you in live, but not so much on a album? Like INSPIRE for me was, not really my favorite until I saw her do it on her Arena Tour. Not too bad really.
7.5/10

Remember, opinions vary by person.
Old 20th December 2010, 08:44 AM
ayu trance Initiate

I'm really glad to hear most people are loving this album very much, makes me happy for my fellow Ayu fans. My feeling were a bit different though unfortunately

This album didn't speak to me as much as most of her albums. (miss)understood and Memorial Address are my favorites so far. I love her up-beat and funky music. I also do love her ballad songs, though I felt this album lacked quite a bit. There was a clear unison in this album unlike Rock n' Roll Circus where the title throws you off a lot, if you're not an Ayu fan, you would think that album was all about hard rock songs. Love Songs is very obviously a mid-tempo ballad type of album. The whole album fits together very well.

As a huge Ayu fan, and with my honest critique, some of the tracks I had to bite my lip to get through. 1/2 of the tracks I love and the other 1/2 I cannot stand! I love that she made an honest effort to go back to her A Song for XX days and for the most part she succeeded with that. My biggest problem with Love Songs is that most of the songs sound too much alike. The exact same instruments, feeling, tempo, and vocal feelings. I believe that if she threw in a few more up-beat songs that still fit the theme of the album and changed up the sounds and instruments a bit this album would have been perfect for me.

Her vocals stand out extremely in this album, each song has beautiful and of the highest quality Ayu vocals! In terms of her singing abilities, vocals, and skills this album shines the most so far out of all her albums. She obviously practiced and worked hard to sound her best for this album.

So far, unfortunately this is still my LEAST favorite Ayumi album so far (sorry guys I LOVE her but this is my honest review). Rock n' Roll Circus wins by a small land slide because the songs were more original and the album varied a bit more even though it was all over the place. Plus I prefer Ayu's rock songs over her ballads.

1. Love Song (#2 fave)
VERY powerful and beautiful. I love how the song switches up so that the versus are unpredictable. The two vocal peaks were unexpected and I think make the song over all. I like how this song has a very subtile american country type of sound to it. This is one of the best songs on the album 8/10

2. crossroad (#1 fave)
My favorite track on the album. Very peaceful and nostalgic and VERY Ayu to me. The chords and vocals are so sweet and delightful it puts me in a good mood every time. The melody isn't super original but it's beauty covers for that. 8/10

3. MOON
I'm surprised this song became a single honestly, to me the song is very predictable, J-pop typical, and unoriginal. The melody is pretty and her vocals are great, though the song lacks a lot 4/10

4. Sending Mail
The song didn't speak to me as strongly as Love Song the first time I heard it, the melody is a bit J-pop typical yet original. Her vocals are very beautiful. The track isn't bad, I listen to it, but skip it over sometimes 5/10

5. Last Angel
A very interesting song, the beginning instrumental is very powerful and sinks you in right away. The melody is a bit awkward, but it grows on you and then you like it a lot. The chords are interesting and the lyrics are nice. I like the low "speaking" parts that low of vocals is rare for Ayu and a special treat. 6.5/10

6. Insomnia
An odd interlude that doesn't really fit with the album that well, the distorted vocals would be awesome in a remix album but in a ballad album called "Love Songs" sounds like this are disturbing mixed with the rest of the tracks 3/10

7. Like A Doll
I think her vocals lack a liiiittle here, they could have been better. The melody is pretty and the main line "like a doll" in English is catchy. I think the song is a bit bland kinda like a book where "the plot doesn't thicken" this song leaves something to be desired a bit. I think if the main verse were a bit more powerful instead of at the same pace and sound as the rest of the song it would have been better. 5.5/10

8. Aria
Very beautiful and suits with the rest of the album well. One of my favorite Ayu interludes yet, the ending ends a bit awkward though, very anti-climatic 8/10

9. blossom
This song has grown on me since it came out. It's a pretty typical Ayu ballad in terms of the melody. Her vocals shine very well and are super sweet. It's one of the better tracks on the album. When comparing to the rest of the album this song shines over more than half the album 6/10

10. Thank U
The sounds and background music to this song are super cute and addictive, Ayu does a good job controlling her sometimes ear-piercing "ii" sounds well. Though her vibrato is her typical "forced out" vibrato, it's not the natural kind that comes out when singers sing, it's obviously controlled and overly "bouncy" so to speak, it's not a vibrato that has a clean natural sound to it. 5/10

11. Sweet Season
Again, nothing special in terms of melody, the song doesn't speak to me. Her vocals are beautiful but the song again is nothing special I don't even know where to compliment it specifically 5/10

12. Overture
Really powerful and it suits well with the album. It sounds a lot like it would fit in with a Final Fantasy soundtrack (especially Final Fantasy 9) 7/10

13. Do It Again
The feeling of this song is very sad and beautiful, it makes me think of Batman for some reason like this would be the love song for Batman and Catwoman, a dark and beautiful love. The beginning is a bit anti-climatic and I think it should have been cut in half to get the song rolling because it feels like the song is going nowhere and you get bored. Though the English parts are the best part because then the song switches up to this different pace and melody that has a totally different feel, it's like two songs were put into one, this song wasn't well-composed. 5/10

14. November (#3 fave)
The chords and vocals in this song are wonderful and pull you in. The melody is quite unique but the song runs a bit "dry" in the middle and you get a bit bored but then the chords come back and remind you how the beginning pulled you in. One of the nicer songs in the album. Ayu's vocals have a uniqueness to them that I've never heard and I like it, her vibrato is a bit more "shaky" but not in a bad way. 6.5/10

15. Virgin Road
A pretty song and it took quite some time to grow on me, again, there isn't anything super special or original about it. I like the part where the melody and violins go up-beat a bit and play in synch. The vocals like all the songs on this album are very beautiful though. 6/10

16. Seven Days War
The melody is nice and this is one of the better "almost a cappella" songs on the album where there is hardly any music and mostly Ayu's vocals. The chorus in the background adds a lovely touch at the end and you get Ayu's classic style of just humming and singing without words at the end which is quite uniquely hers in the Jpop world. 6.5/10

Over-all rating I give this album 5/10

The reasons being is that there are basically 2-3 songs I listen to over and over, about 2-3 that I sometimes listen to, and the others I just don't care for them. The album lacked originality and was pretty typical of Ayu and J-pop. The album was NOT BAD but wasn't great either.

P.S. I LOVE AYU AND THIS IS JUST MY HONEST CRITIQUE AND FEELINGS ABOUT THE ALBUM. So PLEASE don't reply saying, "you obviously aren't an Ayu fan and this was a terrible thing to say" because I've had that before and it wasn't a necessary comment towards someone who loves 99% of what Ayu does. Please and Thank you!
Old 20th December 2010, 09:29 AM
rainy day Initiate

Just listened to November again - really, I see what everyone is talking about TK's composition and how good the actual music is in this album. I was so much more drawn to the song than Ayu's voice this listen. Ayu's voice is good but I would LOVE an instrumental. It's so beautiful.

To the above, really tune out Ayu's voice and concentrate on the instrumental progression of the track on November. It's even more beautiful that way. From 1:49-2:06 is one of my favorites as far as the musical segment goes. Really concentrate here on how beautiful the strings are.

I have to say I am proud you are voicing your opinion. Not afraid to be honest

Last edited by Zeke.; 20th December 2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 20th December 2010, 03:09 PM
count down Initiate

My review is done! Pretty long so, can only direct to my LJ lol

http://junniejunxiang.livejournal.com/2592.html

YAYAYAYA GAGAGAGA DADADADA WOWOWOWO

Old 20th December 2010, 03:22 PM
rainy day Initiate

I didn't read it all but I love your review of November. I feel the same way about the amazing musicality of the song but also kind of missing that push at certain parts. But still a BEAUTIFUL song. I love the slight synth as well.

I also like your closing paragraphs.

Last edited by Zeke.; 20th December 2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 20th December 2010, 03:24 PM
Banned

Side-note: The more you listen to the album, the more you begin to REALLY hear and appreciate the unique compositional structures of the new tracks. It's NOT like her usual work~
Old 20th December 2010, 03:31 PM
rainy day Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rody! View Post
Side-note: The more you listen to the album, the more you begin to REALLY hear and appreciate the unique compositional structures of the new tracks. It's NOT like her usual work~
I'm loving the unique arrangements as well!

The more I listen to November, the more I just truly appreciate it's beauty! I would totally kill for a complete vocalless version, haha. But the strings are just amazing here and the soft synth I love.
Old 20th December 2010, 03:31 PM
until that Day… Initiate

^ that's true!
it feel the same way right now..
i've been listening to the songs from the very 1st track til the end...
Old 20th December 2010, 03:42 PM
from your letter Initiate

it's got 9.5 out of 10 from me ^^ the lack of 0.5 is that there are no dance song which i expected.

it's really really PERFECT. normally, i didn't really like new additional track in each album
but additional songs in this album are very glow on me.and I love almost single tracks
So that,i never skip the track in Love songs
Old 20th December 2010, 03:50 PM
count down Initiate

the arrangements indeed are lovely,... it's just so. different lol, i'm amazed <3

@all.night.raver: thank u

YAYAYAYA GAGAGAGA DADADADA WOWOWOWO

Old 20th December 2010, 04:18 PM
JEWEL Initiate

Goodness waterballoon, you weren't lying when you said you're review was long! I think I'm going to wait to hear the album and then read it~ <3
Old 20th December 2010, 06:14 PM
(don't) Leave me alone Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rody! View Post
yeah! it's so interesting to me. I'm beginning to realize this whole album is totally different than any other album she has ever released.. I can now understand why some ayu fans would be put off by it.. it's very un-ayu.
Old 20th December 2010, 06:17 PM
Gut it-pez Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
Anyone think the rip we have is not that great? I felt the instrumentals sound very muffled. I compared a VBR rip of Last Angel from the single to the rip from the album and the single mp3 was hands down much better quality, in sound and bass.

Some songs don't feel like they have the kick they should. For example love song, the kick drum is so faint and muffled. I don't think that's how it will sound when listening to the actual CD.

I might be picky, but when it comes to Ayu, I want to hear the finished product how it should sound.
I sorta get that feeling too, actually. Something feels a little off, especially in November to me.

Tags
love songs