Your Love Songs reviews!!! - Page 9 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 23rd December 2010, 11:25 AM
WHATEVER Initiate

Adding to the chorus that "cohesive" is a really good way to describe this album. A lot of the tracks, like "Sweet Season" and "sending mail," don't really stick with me as individual songs (which I think makes including "Sweet Season" on the single a mistake but whatever), but they really work together to create a holistic listening experience. Then you have songs like "Love song," "do it again," and "November" that are completely different than anything she's done, pull all the stops, and are just generally amazing.

(am I the only person who likes "blossom" more than "MOON"--or any other singe released this year? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by all.night.raver View Post
You know, I would totally love this album more if someone else sang it. I think Ayu's voice is just too... strong for these songs. Take November, I am in love with it but her voice is still a little too rough for most of it. The last few lines are powerful with her voice but I would like to see someone with a softer voice do a take on this - maybe Hikki's breathy vocals.

But yes, I do really like this album but I would like it more if someone else sang the songs, or if Ayu wasn't singing at all. Lol.

I mean, her voice sounds much better in this album I have already said but I still think it's a little too harsh for the softness of some of the songs.
I had the exact opposite reaction to the album. I came away from it thinking that I would probably hate most of the tracks if the compositions were given to any other singer. I guess I'm just not a fan of TK, so, for me, it needed Ayu to elevate the album above the usual radio-ready J-pop. Because I needed this exception to the rule, I can see why you--and a lot of people, I imagine--would want these songs to be recorded by a different singer (like Hikki, whose "breathy vocals" I can't stand but Japan obviously loves. So there's that lol). That's one of the reasons I'm really curious to see how the album's received in Japan.

I definitely agree that her voice sounds much better on this album. She sounds more confident in her own vocal abilities on this album than she has on any other album she's released since announcing her hearing loss.
Old 23rd December 2010, 11:36 AM
Two of us Initiate

Okay, now I post my rewiew

1. Love Song: I looove this song *__*. It's a good beginning for this album and it rocks very much 10/10

2. Crossroad: This song is very emotional for me and It has a wonderful lyric. But I don't understand the video 9/10

3. MOON: I love the refrain and more I can't say xD 10/10

4. sending mail: At the beginning I don't like it, because of the refrain -.-, but the rest is cool. 7/10

5. Last Angel: I love it from the beginning on! 10/10

6. Insomina: It's okay. 6/10

7. Like a doll: It's Marionette II for me . And I love it ^^ 10/10

8. Aria: I like it 8/10

9. blossom: I loooove it sooo much!!! 10/10

10. Thank U: Lalalala Lalalala xD. 9/10

11. Sweet Season: My favourite song of this Album! 10/10

12. overture: My fave interlude 10/10

13. Do it again: I love it, It's a good earwig xD 10/10

14. November: I like it 8/10

15. Virgin Road: It's so epic!!!!!!!! 10/10

Signature made by me
Old 23rd December 2010, 12:40 PM
Initiate

So, this album I had not listened to in full until I received it.
Here's how I feel about it.

First of all, the packaging is absolutely gorgeous, the booklet, the colours, the softness and the wonder that the words Love songs portray – it’s perfect, especially the alternative cover, Ayu is so beautiful.

Now, the music.

1. Love song – the piano is what I hear first; I like it, and it does a lot for the song, the guitar also sounds very relaxing, a nice start. I think it’s an interesting composition that feels like one continuous melody, which isn’t divided into parts. I’ll give it a 6.5/10, because I feel that I might grow tired of it after a while.

2. crossroad – I loved this one from the start, no buts whatsoever 8/10.

3. MOON – I remember loving MOON when the single was released, I believe the play count on iTunes was around 264 when this downhill feeling came over me as it usually does when I lose interest in a song. Back then I would have given it a 9, today I give it a 5, because I feel that I'll skip it in the future many times.

4. sending mail – oh my, quite repetitive are we. But I'm intrigued, the beginning makes me want to know more, the rushed vocals almost make me feel the anticipation, and I'm waiting for the climax. I can slowly breathe when the chorus ends, but then I'm tensed when the second verse begins. I like this one, especially the violin at the end, that was a surprise! Props to Ayu for rising some excitement in me in the morning 8/10.

5. Last Angel – this one's always been 50/50, the beginning is great, and I like some parts of the song, but not so much as a whole, too much lyrics perhaps? It may feel too long, but now I see that all of the songs are quite lengthy. 4/10

6. insomnia – hmm... it's quite good to be honest, the piano reminds me of the scenes in the Last Angel PV where Ayu is wandering on her own at night. Yes, it feels just right after Last Angel, especially with the finale, and the sound of the rushing wind, or the car driving off, whichever it is. 7/10

7. Like a doll – what a simple tune the piano is playing at the start. But 0:30, oh Ayu, your voice sounds strained. I'm not bothered by the English phrase at all, I love the violin, the bridge builds up nicely and the chorus? – God how I love the strings before it begins, but it sadly fails to deliver. This song never reaches its full potential, it could have been much more powerful – yes that's the problem, it doesn't convince me, though the parts where she repeats "like a doll" are supported by the best of the melody. Nice song, will listen to it, perhaps it was intentional to have it composed/arranged in this way, but I can't be sure of how long it'll last in my library. 5/10

8. Aria – another interlude, and so soon? How relaxing is it, I can almost picture being in the country, surrounded by green meadows and fresh flowers, birds flying by, chirping away, that's the type of image it paints in my mind. It's lovely. 8/10

9. blossom – I've never liked it much, it was just so boring. At one point I enjoyed the remix, but I don't listen to electro pop nowadays, so no longer. It feels like Aria's twin song. 3/10

10. Thank U – starts interesting, this and Aria fit the bright side of the Victorian style, but not for long... Lalalala... this is too much, how I lived through this song is beyond me. It's painful, so painful. 1/10

11. Sweet Season – pretty, but that's about it. Boring, how unfortunate, but better than blossom, 4/10

12. overture – I like how the piano is so simple and yet beautiful throughout the album. There is no over the top, exaggerated playing, just relaxed fingers caressing the keys of the most wonderful instrument, accompanied by the strings and the woodwinds. I want to close my eyes and doze off~ 10/10

13. do it again – more English, but the music video I absolutely adore. This is going to be RnRC's equivalent of count down for me, seemingly a simple song that absorbs me entirely. Sing, sing, sing, do it again, dance, dance, dance do it again, Ayu are you confronting our demands? But the song is magic, the dogs that would want to run off and are too big for your hands, just as the industry that's using you, and the charts, which you're trying to dominate, in hopes of reaching the hearts of as many people as possible. God, how this one has captured me. 9/10

14. November – starts of quietly, modestly, Ayu's voice trembles from the emotion that she's sending towards us. It's so beautiful, my legs feel weak. It's different from BALLAD, which was my favourite recent ballad. November leaves me helpless, tears gather under my closed eyelids, because I don't even want to see anything whilst listening to this, let me get lost in the sound... 10/10

15. Virgin Road – one of her most amazing choruses ever, but it's too long, the rest just feels too long. 6/10

Wow, I didn't expect this, I've really enjoyed it. Forget the unimpressive tracks, they're invincible under the light of those that are so wonderful. I'm not bothered by them, because the album is cohesive, though the songs might not survive on their own, but it sounds professional. I'm grateful for the excess of the classical influences, thank you for that Ayu.
You've outdone yourself, LA does you good, Mannie clearly does you good, visit more countries in the future

Last edited by Melodie; 23rd December 2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 23rd December 2010, 12:58 PM
count down Initiate

An interesting note imo -

"MOON - sending mail"

Doesn't it feel like in MOON, when she sings about wanting to "send a gentle song" to someone and all that... it's like she wants to send a message in MOON, but we find out in sending mail that she couldn't do so? Maybe it's a coincidence but I thought track placement here was interesting.

YAYAYAYA GAGAGAGA DADADADA WOWOWOWO

Old 23rd December 2010, 02:59 PM
Don't look back Initiate

FINALLY, got to hear the album!!!!!! Im surprised. Now, I can understand why there are divided opinions and now I can understand what it means to have a COHESIVE albums.

I would say, Im very surprised by the styles of the album..for the new tracks I mean. It's really hard to find them similar to ANY Ayu song at all.
And it was really cohesive I agree. I felt like I was in a dream...especially towards the middle. It was magical.

and one thing I love about the new songs...are their beat and the rich music.

01 Love song: 10/10
FREAK! NOT NOT NOT EXPECTING THIS AT ALLL!!!! This song is truly amazing. It doesn't need multiple listens. The music is fantastic. I did feel the Last Links' guitar-ish part but the rest was purely amazing. I love the kickdrum. It gives the song a whole new feeling. Not to mention, gorgeous opening too..and i mean, that melody is just REALLY beautiful to listen to alone haha (that explained the looping of the CM previously haha). Her voice is special here hahaha..its really strong and there's a lot of character in them. Oh and i really love the chorus..everything forms up really well. (Damn..Ayu has crafted another one-and-only song-of-a-kind)

02 crossroad: 9/10
It was amazing. I could never forget how it sounded so weak in the chaku-uta but this now...the orchestra and instrumentation is just fantastic and powerful. Yea, it definitely has less of the appeal after 3 months but still, its a great song.

03 MOON: 9.5/10
I adore this song because of its power and emotion. Yes, it may sound like a style Ayu has always been doing but so what? It is still a great song.

04 sending mail: 8.5/10
Honestly, first time i heard it, I got a i-almost-went-crazy moment at the last chorus AHHAH..it seemed like it was never gonna end omggg. But now im getting used to the length. I love the rush..and doesnt matter if it has a 80s/90s melody..I actually thought it was a pleasant surprise. And I felt a lil nostalgic at those points. I love the entire progression of the song. Right now, its still growing on me omg...And I totally hear Mirrorcle World's beats in the chorus too

05 Last angel: 9/10
This song has grown on me quite a bit I would say. It was the song I'd actually pay least attention in L but whoa, something about the upbeatness of the track and progression of music that just keeps drawing me in. This song totally brings me into outer-space of sorts.

06 insomnia: 5/10
I loved the opening and this kinda dragged on for too long. Love the ending scary sound too. But yea, i guess it's a Like a doll prelude.

07 Like a doll: 6/10 -> 6.5/10
The opening is so beautiful. But yea, i agree with some here. The song doesnt seem to ever pick up to a climax. It COULD have been much better. Same here, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE BEAT and her Like a doll chant is quite cool hahaha!! Verses are an ace but the chorus' melody is kinda weak for the track. Sometimes, its happy, and sometimes its sad. But I think it may grow on me..because the tune is so simple, it'll get stuck in my mind easily.
(EDIT: ok it's growing on me hahahha!)

08 Aria: 9/10
Im very impressed with this interlude. It's such a joy to listen to it and really feels like I'm im a fantasy garden. I wasn't expecting the louder sound halfway and it was such a pleasant surprise. Definitely one of her best interludes.

09 blossom: 9.5/10
Giving it a 9.5 because it has came out for sometime. But honestly, if I heard this song for the first time, i would call it a roller-coaster. I love the guitar parts as they portray such a rough and emotional side..then the verses are soft and mellow with a very nice beat to them. Not to mention that awesome bridge

10 Thank U: 8.5/10
Wow, never thought the song would turn out so...fresh. I thought it would be kinda like her typical pop song but this has quite a cool sound. It gives me the same vibes as Bridge to the sky..really wants me wanna fly. For a moment, I pictured Ai Otsuka/Perfume singing such a song..or maybe even Hitomi Shimatani ...but i really like it! It's quite different from Ayu's goodbye songs actually. I really feel very emotional at the musical interlude it has...it feels so right. lalalala into rightness~~~

11 Sweet Season: 7/10
I like this song. It fits really well after Thank U (and in this section) generally. Whenever I hear the song now, I remember the PV..and recall how perfection doesnt exists and it makes the song so pretty...kira kira kira~

12 overture: 7.5/10
RPG RPG RPG!!! this interlude feels like it'll fit right into any RPG trailer hahaha! And I can totally picture Ayu singing for this. Could this be the Tales track??? ahhahaha...I dont mind

13 do it again: 8.5/10
Epic! I feel like the world is coming to an end really. No wonder everyone said it sounds so sad..I feel that too. In a very beautiful way. the way she croons the dance dance dance sing it again is so haunting really. I love it. Initally i felt the chorus didnt really live it up but now, I think it's ok. It'll continue to grow on me

14 November: 9/10
It grew on me REALLY FAST! I like the beat. It's just right. The more I listen, the more i discover in the background. And the more I find that it's different from other Ayu ballads. Is this even considered a ballad? LOL. Theres this bittersweet and medieval feel I get from the song. It's fresh and cool.

15 Virgin Road: 10/10
I love this track. Everything is right. The mood, the progression, the power. One of her best power ballads in a long time..without the need of being rock-influenced.

Overall:
BEAT BEAT BEAT! The new songs are really good! most of them are. I absolutely love the effort gone into making this album. The music is fantastic. It's actually telling a story without even having Ayu's vocals, which have improved. Sometimes, she sounds strained yes..but I guess, i'll get used to it She still sounds really good in general.

I like how Ayu strayed away from the typical. I find this album very different actually.

great job! now, I just need more listens because as much as the music is amazing, the songs are those thatll JUMP out at you (cept Love song) immediately. They take time to grow on you via their music

Last edited by freedreamer; 23rd December 2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 23rd December 2010, 03:35 PM
appears Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatstacey View Post

(am I the only person who likes "blossom" more than "MOON"--or any other singe released this year? )
Hey! I LOVE blossom as much as I LOVE MOON!!
Old 23rd December 2010, 03:55 PM
rainy day Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatstacey View Post
am I the only person who likes "blossom" more than "MOON"--or any other singe released this year?
No - blossom is my favorite song of hers released this year and probably my favorite on the album.
Old 23rd December 2010, 04:03 PM
count down Initiate

blossom owns MOON imo cos blossom is short & sweet and the emotions are amazing, the verses are nostalgic-sounding, perfect imo... lovely bridge too

YAYAYAYA GAGAGAGA DADADADA WOWOWOWO

Old 23rd December 2010, 04:12 PM
until that Day… Initiate

even ayu's listening to blossom during her ride to rehearsal hahaha XDD
Old 23rd December 2010, 04:36 PM
JEWEL Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by truehappiness View Post
And yet people seem to think Ayu puts out her best work if she spends more time on an album and doesn't "rush" it.
I don't mean to sound rude, but if someone really believe that if Ayu took her time the album would come out any different or any better they really don't know how she works. Her entire career is album after album after album, she's a machine and how much time she spends on it has nothing to do with the quality. She doesn't spend a lot of time on her albums, period. Even your favorite album was rushed because practically all of her albums were rushed!

I hate it when fans say "this sounds so rushed" because stating that as the cause of bad work is like stating "this particular wine tastes bad because it has alcohol in it." The alcohol is a constant, just like Ayu rushing albums is a constant. I'm sick of people using that as an excuse for why they don't like an album. It's a *****ty excuse, you don't like it because you don't like it. It doesn't suit you, you wish it could have been better. But her taking more time will not make the album magically suit your needs.

Ayu's very good at knowing what she wants and knowing it right away. She doesn't need more time to figure that out or refine the music. Her music is very refined, there isn't a single album of hers that isn't varied or dynamic or doesn't have at least one stand-out track or at least one powerful song that defines the album. If you don't like the album, that's on you, not her. As I've said somewhere else, Ayu's music is about expression before enjoyment. She doesn't write her music for you, contrary to some people's beliefs. Sure some of the lyrics may be for fans like RED LINE but the overall message and the overall concept is what she's trying to express.

If she were into changing her music style and image to constantly please the public, she'd be like Kumi or Namie (not trying to start a fight but you can't deny they changed their images and music to get more famous). But Ayu remains herself no matter what and she makes music the way she wants to no matter what. There's nothing wrong with not liking it, there's nothing wrong with expressing your opinion about it. But saying you don't like it because it sounds "rushed" is ANNOYING AS HELL! xD;

Last edited by jbrat2219; 23rd December 2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 23rd December 2010, 05:00 PM
Prologue Initiate

Quote:
12 overture: 7.5/10

RPG RPG RPG!!! this interlude feels like it'll fit right into any RPG trailer hahaha! And I can totally picture Ayu singing for this. Could this be the Tales track??? ahhahaha...I dont mind
Yess! Thank you for backing me up here. It either sounds like an overworld theme or a pre-boss fight theme, like when you know you're just about to go to the final dungeon or something.

日本のために祈っています - Praying for Japan

My Japanese Twitter - Follow me! ^-^

Old 23rd December 2010, 05:11 PM
JEWEL Initiate

Omg that's why I love overture!!! RPG music for the win!!!!
Old 23rd December 2010, 05:30 PM
rainy day Initiate

I love RPGs but I could never stand the battle music in the games. I thought they were so ANNOYING and really boring and predictable as well.
Old 23rd December 2010, 05:41 PM
Heartplace Initiate

In my 2nd listening I gave it a 4,9 over 15!!!! One full point for one full song.
I was really dissapointed. Now it's grown on me more, but there are still things I don't like. Too many changes in rhythms, multiple choruses styles in te same song, take November, for example...
So if I was in the sampling booth in a music store and I played this album I wouldn't have bought it.
I don't know what note I would put now, certainly around 7,5/15
Oh, I didn't even considered SDW coz I can't stand it ><

Last edited by Rebirthia; 23rd December 2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 23rd December 2010, 08:29 PM
End roll Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrat2219 View Post
I don't mean to sound rude, but if someone really believe that if Ayu took her time the album would come out any different or any better they really don't know how she works. Her entire career is album after album after album, she's a machine and how much time she spends on it has nothing to do with the quality. She doesn't spend a lot of time on her albums, period. Even your favorite album was rushed because practically all of her albums were rushed!

I hate it when fans say "this sounds so rushed" because stating that as the cause of bad work is like stating "this particular wine tastes bad because it has alcohol in it." The alcohol is a constant, just like Ayu rushing albums is a constant. I'm sick of people using that as an excuse for why they don't like an album. It's a *****ty excuse, you don't like it because you don't like it. It doesn't suit you, you wish it could have been better. But her taking more time will not make the album magically suit your needs.

Ayu's very good at knowing what she wants and knowing it right away. She doesn't need more time to figure that out or refine the music. Her music is very refined, there isn't a single album of hers that isn't varied or dynamic or doesn't have at least one stand-out track or at least one powerful song that defines the album. If you don't like the album, that's on you, not her. As I've said somewhere else, Ayu's music is about expression before enjoyment. She doesn't write her music for you, contrary to some people's beliefs. Sure some of the lyrics may be for fans like RED LINE but the overall message and the overall concept is what she's trying to express.

If she were into changing her music style and image to constantly please the public, she'd be like Kumi or Namie (not trying to start a fight but you can't deny they changed their images and music to get more famous). But Ayu remains herself no matter what and she makes music the way she wants to no matter what. There's nothing wrong with not liking it, there's nothing wrong with expressing your opinion about it. But saying you don't like it because it sounds "rushed" is ANNOYING AS HELL! xD;
This.
I want to post this in every thread on this forum.

Y'know, sometimes I feel like I don't need to comment on things cause you've already said what I wanted to lol
Old 23rd December 2010, 08:45 PM
And Then Initiate

Quote:

Thank you, jbrat2219. Everything she does is "rushed"...Ayu makes the music she wants to make.
Old 23rd December 2010, 08:56 PM
Over Initiate

I still need to listen to it a few more times. The only new songs that I instantly liked were November, Like a doll, sending mail & overture. overture was BEAST. The rest I found a bit..forgettable.

FacebookLast.fm TwitterTumblr

Last edited by RikkuChii; 23rd December 2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 24th December 2010, 12:21 AM
(don't) Leave me alone Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirea View Post
I have to admit, it's something to enjoy more as a whole. I always have trouble figuring out which song I want to listen to out of all of them, but if I just start at Love song and let it go, I enjoy it more.
yes! I agree so much! the album as a whole is just amazing.. each track after the other just fits so perfectly. another thing I love about this album is how the booklet photo shoot for it fits so well with the music. I don't know if anyone else thinks so but I can imagine her singing any of the songs on this album in the settings she's in in the booklet. it's like everything about this album goes together so nicely.
Old 24th December 2010, 12:24 AM
poker face Initiate

*tries to not shamelessly plug my blog*

But I really wrote it all there already xD

http://hextan.wordpress.com/2010/12/...ki-love-songs/

In short, I thought the album was amazing, but just short of some higher adjective.
Old 24th December 2010, 12:36 AM
YOU Initiate

Quote:
haha actually i feel Ayu's is THE chameleon of j-pop considering all of the genres she's spanned and that is exactly the reason why i love her! she's so versatile!

i LOVE this album from start to finish and think the songs flow (maybe a little too) well into each other~ the one problem is that, probably due to tetsuya komuro's dominance as the main composer for this album, many of the tracks sound very similar to one another.

Tags
love songs