[YouTube] [Funny] Utada commenting on Ayumi Hamasaki [Again..] - Page 4 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 28th March 2009, 01:39 AM
SCAR Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumsushi View Post
Thank you! Someone else who feels the same way! Every time she goes on a show and boasts about how HUGE she is in Japan and WHO she is working with I want to throw something. She could use a piece of humble pie.
ah no. She doesn't bring it up, the interviewers do. What should she do? Giggle and say nothing? If you've watched half the interviews she's been in lately, you'd see that. Plus she said in a Seattle interview that's the thing she hates - that most of her interviews focus on how popular she is in Japan rather than the music she is trying to sell in America. And I don't blame her - a lot of Americans can't get around the fact that someone can sell so many records outside their country.

She's very humble in interviews, she's got my respect as an artist. Utada and Ayu were popular at the same time, I think she really doesn't like those situations because it adds more fuel to the fire when there isn't a fire to begin with.

Last edited by Tony G; 28th March 2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old 28th March 2009, 02:10 AM
forgiveness Initiate

HELL YEAH! did you hear the other guy yell GACKT!? woo! god I would love that!
Old 28th March 2009, 03:53 AM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

I should have screamed Miracle Hikaru...
Old 28th March 2009, 04:03 AM
JEWEL Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution7/4 View Post
You all need to watch other Utada interviews she is insanely humble and not a snob at all!!
I think it's like half and half... sometimes I find her humble and cute other times... not so much lol.
Old 28th March 2009, 04:38 AM
immature Initiate

lol this is sooo funny

but how dare she compare ayu to those pieces of ******!!!
Old 28th March 2009, 06:42 AM
BLUE BIRD Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by part of Me ♥ View Post
yeah idk, utada comes off as a huge snob. not just in this interview but others i've watched. ehh. i just can't like her personality.
IAWTC. Totally. I like her music and all, but her personally... Not so much.

did you imagine this kind of future?

@luckynekolady instagram

Old 28th March 2009, 03:37 PM
End of the World Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
ah no. She doesn't bring it up, the interviewers do. What should she do? Giggle and say nothing? If you've watched half the interviews she's been in lately, you'd see that. Plus she said in a Seattle interview that's the thing she hates - that most of her interviews focus on how popular she is in Japan rather than the music she is trying to sell in America. And I don't blame her - a lot of Americans can't get around the fact that someone can sell so many records outside their country.
I know that her record company is responsible for much of the hype through their advertising, and while I cant say that I've watched every single interview she's ever done, I can refer to atleast one video, up on youtube a month or 2 ago, and the first thing that comes out of her mouth is "I'm huge in Japan but virtually unknown in the US". It was not an interview, rather a video she put up herself. No one is disputing how big she is or begrudging her any success, but its the way she says it thats puts me off as a fan.

Last edited by Yumsushi; 28th March 2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 28th March 2009, 05:09 PM
WE WISH Initiate

I would be a little annoyed too! lol At least he wasn't rude like that girl who got to talk to utada on the radio, just to ask her if she can ask ayumi to come to the USA too! How dumb is that!
Old 28th March 2009, 05:21 PM
ourselves Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidea View Post
Is it just me or does Utada always sound sarcastic when saying Ayu is cute and never says shes a good musician, only that she's cute o.0

But her face is really priceless xD
I think Utada doesen't make a good prson ain these interviews (in english). SHe seems fairly arrogant and distant, ven though it's probably not her intention. ANyways, ayu's not really a musician, even if she may be a singer.
Old 28th March 2009, 08:05 PM
fairyland Initiate

I can understand that Utada would get a little annoyed with all the Ayu comments. I mean, she wants to talk about her album, and that's totally understandable. She's not there to promote Ayu, who is her competition.

And despite that the interviewer probably meant it as a joke, and doesn't know who Ayu is, she should refrain from making comments about fighting, as they can be taken the wrong way. Plus, like I said she doesn't know Ayu. For all she knows Ayu gets beaten by her boyfriend (not true, I know, I'm just making an example).

Last edited by happiholic★; 28th March 2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 28th March 2009, 09:36 PM
A BALLADS Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Petit* View Post
I think Utada doesen't make a good prson ain these interviews (in english). SHe seems fairly arrogant and distant, ven though it's probably not her intention. ANyways, ayu's not really a musician, even if she may be a singer.
I just didnt find the right word when writing the comment, actually, I wanted to write artist, but yeah, she really isn't much of a musician.
Old 28th March 2009, 10:28 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

^Ummm....she's a songwriter and more importanly a composer...
Old 29th March 2009, 02:58 AM
Endless sorrow Initiate

I always find Utada's interviews to be awkward and hard to watch xD

livejournal / last.fm / awesome sauce

Old 29th March 2009, 03:04 PM
A BALLADS Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution7/4 View Post
^Ummm....she's a songwriter and more importanly a composer...
I know, but, at least for me, composer and songwriter are not musicians, they are composers and songwriters and shes not a very good singer(singers for me are musicians), so I wouldn't call her good musician and ive never seen her playing an instrument, so she probably isnt a musician aside singing(only stories i read about piano, but we never saw that)

Last edited by noidea; 29th March 2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 29th March 2009, 06:23 PM
Far away Initiate

Quote:
I know, but, at least for me, composer and songwriter are not musicians, they are composers and songwriters and shes not a very good singer(singers for me are musicians), so I wouldn't call her good musician and ive never seen her playing an instrument, so she probably isnt a musician aside singing(only stories i read about piano, but we never saw that)
Woah man! That's a pretty messed up definition haha... She may not have outstanding vocal abilities such as [insert artist name here], but obviously it was good enough to get her through 10 years of her career. At the very least you can say her voice is average. I prefer to say she's an all-rounder who's pretty much balanced in every category, including the ability to compose, which is very rare in itself among J-pop artists nowadays. The same goes for lyric-writing. Musician is a broad term dude. Some people consider the voice to be an instrument. Anyone directly involved in the process of making a song could be called a musician, and Ayu would no doubt fall under this category. Composers and songwriters would then without a doubt fall under the category of being a musician and she happens to be both. The fact that she was at one point in her career involved in almost if not all aspects of creating songs from scratch leads me to believe she is an excellent musician. I fail to see how you separated composer and songwriter from musician (root word) when those are two of the most important aspects. What you're saying could be likened to referring to a dog by its breed but denying that it is an animal. Now that that's out of the way...

Yeah...people shouldn't have bought that whole thing up. It's insulting to both artists I think. You can't ask who Ayu is without saying something very lofty about her I think. She can't just be called any J-pop artist. Clearly a lot of those fans were fans of her Japanese stuff, and not American. Some were probably both but from the pictures of I've seen, the former is true.

Last edited by jimex289; 29th March 2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 29th March 2009, 06:46 PM
too late Initiate

Location: Mirrorcle town searching for my last angel (Mexico)
Quote:
You're kidding, right?

A composer that composes music is not a musician?

LOL!!!!

Man, a composer IS a musician. those guys wouldn't be able to compose anything if they didn't have a previous music education. Ayu, of course is an exception, but i think she was able to compose music since she is heavily involved in the whole making of her albums. In this new album, she is not credited for the music, but it's quite obvious from her pics in TA that she was -with composers as well- really focused on how the music should evolve along with the lyrics.

So yes, a composer IS musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumsushi View Post
Maybe he has occasional feelings.

Ayu stans are Fugging scary.

Last edited by Lady_Eowyn; 29th March 2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 29th March 2009, 07:02 PM
A BALLADS Initiate

Maybe its because I cant speak english very well(maybe the words usage is different?) but for me, people making the already written music are the musicians and the people writing the music are the songwriters/composers, thats how we learned it in school xD

Maybe ayu is an average singer, but average singers(at least when speaking of pop music) are no good singers, I actually really enjoy ayus singing, of course, i even like her live voice over her studio recordings where she sounds better, but i dont enjoy it because she sings good, i enjoy it because of the emotion she puts in it

Last edited by noidea; 29th March 2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 29th March 2009, 08:51 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Well... Ayu for sure isn't Mariah or Celine... but she sang some hard songs over the years and could put them off very well (Pride, M, is this love?, bold & delicious...), her vibratos are very hard to master and she can control her voice very well when she wants to (most of the time she sacrifice her singing in order to perform^^)

I would say she is a 7 (0 to 10), and this is better than most jpop singers (jpop is for from being a talent-centered music market)... she has a better voice control than... BoA, Utada, Namie, Koda, Ai Otsuka (even if BoA, Utada and Namie are around the same level as Ayu is)... but isn't better than Shimatani, Hirahara, alan, Ayaka....

I wouldn't say she is an amazing musician... but she is a very good pop songwriter, have composed amazing music (but they were just a few, so I can't say she is amazing), and even if she doesn't write anything but the lyrics, she makes sure everything is the way she wants it to be.... what is far from only receiving the music and singing it...

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 29th March 2009, 08:54 PM
theme of a-nation '03 H-Initiate

Quote:
Maybe its because I cant speak english very well(maybe the words usage is different?) but for me, people making the already written music are the musicians and the people writing the music are the songwriters/composers, thats how we learned it in school xD

Maybe ayu is an average singer, but average singers(at least when speaking of pop music) are no good singers, I actually really enjoy ayus singing, of course, i even like her live voice over her studio recordings where she sounds better, but i dont enjoy it because she sings good, i enjoy it because of the emotion she puts in it
well that's not really the right definition of musician cause according to the dictionary

a musicican is a composer, conductor, or performer of music
so ayu is a musician~
Old 29th March 2009, 10:39 PM
P.S II Initiate

Sorry but I agree with noidea. My definition may be traditional but I don't think Ayu is a musician. She may have composed some of her songs but I never found composing to be hard anyways. Just make up a melody in your head and that's it. Imo, the fundamental part of music is the harmony and if anyone can make that interact with the melody, then that takes a lot of skills. I would call J.S. Bach, Chopin and all those old composers to be musicians as they also perform their pieces.

Ayu is probably more skilled in connecting people with her lyrics and the emotions in her voice. But I can't say that she's a skilled singer.

Got Ayu?

Tags
interview, utada hikaru