[YouTube] [Funny] Utada commenting on Ayumi Hamasaki [Again..] - Page 5 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

Old 29th March 2009, 11:05 PM
JEWEL Initiate

Musician (mu⋅si⋅cian)
1. a person who makes music a profession, esp. as a performer of music.
2. any person, whether professional or not, skilled in music.

Other definitions:

One who composes, conducts, or performs music, especially instrumental music.

One skilled in the art or science of music; esp., a skilled singer, or performer on a musical instrument.

Someone who plays a musical instrument (as a profession).

Artist who composes or conducts music as a profession.

Source
Old 29th March 2009, 11:13 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Ayu is a musician 'cause 1love pv said so...

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 29th March 2009, 11:44 PM
Far away Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu_desu View Post
Sorry but I agree with noidea. My definition may be traditional but I don't think Ayu is a musician. She may have composed some of her songs but I never found composing to be hard anyways. Just make up a melody in your head and that's it. Imo, the fundamental part of music is the harmony and if anyone can make that interact with the melody, then that takes a lot of skills. I would call J.S. Bach, Chopin and all those old composers to be musicians as they also perform their pieces.

Ayu is probably more skilled in connecting people with her lyrics and the emotions in her voice. But I can't say that she's a skilled singer.
...you're underestimating the whole process. Period. Maybe you play guitar or something but I can tell you right off the bat it takes a lot more than your simplification of the process. It doesn't take a genius to know that it involves more than just "making melodies in your head". Easier said than done too. If it's not hard you'd see a lot more J-pop artists composing their own works. The very fact that there's only a handful of well-known artists who compose their own works like Utada Hikaru, ayaka, Ai Otsuka, Angela Aki, etc. to name a few negates your statement. There's a reason it's usually left to people who specialize in that department. It has to be good, not something sub par. And it's not something anyone can just do and succeed at.

Are you saying you could have made evolution, Heartplace, winding road, Naturally, etc.?

Last edited by jimex289; 29th March 2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 29th March 2009, 11:47 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

To compose a melody is easy, to compose a good melody is hard, to compose a good melody that people would pay for... well, thats for few people =)

Old 29th March 2009, 11:50 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Can we just stop. This thread has been taken over by a rather pointless discussion.
Old 30th March 2009, 02:06 AM
too late Initiate

Location: Mirrorcle town searching for my last angel (Mexico)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution7/4 View Post
Can we just stop. This thread has been taken over by a rather pointless discussion.
It's pointless to you. We are not insulting neither bashing anyone or anything here. I don't see why we should stop just because you disagree.

Quote:
Maybe its because I cant speak english very well(maybe the words usage is different?) but for me, people making the already written music are the musicians and the people writing the music are the songwriters/composers, thats how we learned it in school xD
Oh, don't worry man it usually happens to all of us when english is not our native language we come here (among other things) to learn

Quote:
Sorry but I agree with noidea. My definition may be traditional but I don't think Ayu is a musician. She may have composed some of her songs but I never found composing to be hard anyways. Just make up a melody in your head and that's it. Imo, the fundamental part of music is the harmony and if anyone can make that interact with the melody, then that takes a lot of skills. I would call J.S. Bach, Chopin and all those old composers to be musicians as they also perform their pieces.

Ayu is probably more skilled in connecting people with her lyrics and the emotions in her voice. But I can't say that she's a skilled singer.

Well...i must say i highly disagree with you. Compose is much more than just "imagine a melody" and that's the end of the story. Mozart was able to just "imagine" a work of art and then writing what he saw in his head, but he is one of very few... since we all know he was a genius. (he learned to play the harpsichord when he was three) Few people can do that, and to be able to compose and make something with harmony you actually need a lot of study. I think that your paragraph is very disrespectful to all people who has spent several years in conservatories trying to understand music, and concepts like harmony, rythm, tempo and even silence. Guys like Sergei Rachmaninov, Nikolai Rimsky Korsakov and Sergei Prokofiev (yes... i love russian composers ) had previous studies in music schools before they became famous composers. Even pop composers like Lady gaga had music studies, and as Jimex said, if compose was such an easy task artists wouldn't hire people to compose for them.

And about Ayu... well, she is able to compose, wether if we like her compositions or not. Ergo, she is a musician, even if she doesn't play any instrument. You may like or not what she has done, but that doesn't change the fact that she can be considered a musician. May be not a "serious" one because she did not had music studies or because that's not exactly what she does for a living, but she is a musician because she is able to compose (sorry if i'm being too repetitive hehehe... i'm afraid i'm creating a cacophony )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumsushi View Post
Maybe he has occasional feelings.

Ayu stans are Fugging scary.
Old 30th March 2009, 02:35 AM
Initiate

hahaz. thanks for that vid.

I think quite many pple wanna see Ayu and hikki collab.. well, I can't imagine that yet..

Namie-Fans.net
Old 30th March 2009, 02:38 AM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Eowyn View Post
It's pointless to you. We are not insulting neither bashing anyone or anything here. I don't see why we should stop just because you disagree.

It is pointless when it only partially relates to this thread. Make a thread of your own if you wish to continue IMO. This has little to do with the initial point of this thread, a video of Hikki commenting on Ayu/any kind of ideas of a collabration. Sure it may not be a completly pointless discussion but within this thread, its unrelated and off topic.

Last edited by Evolution7/4; 30th March 2009 at 02:47 AM.
Old 30th March 2009, 02:42 AM
P.S II Initiate

I respect all of your opinion; I may have understated Ayu's ability, but while there are good examples of her good pieces, there are rather other stale melodies that she composed. I won't state which ones they are because everyone has different tastes and opinions of their favourite melodies.

I'm just stating that while the "official" definition may categorize her as a "musician", I don't recognize her as one.

Lady_Eowyn, please don't take my paragraph as an insult as I also study music and counterpoint. I just don't believe Ayu has studied music as in depth as those musicians that you stated, so which is why I hold such an opinion. She may just be a gifted composer... for some of her hit songs.

Got Ayu?

Last edited by Ayu_desu; 30th March 2009 at 02:45 AM.
Old 30th March 2009, 04:57 AM
ever free Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution7/4 View Post
It is pointless when it only partially relates to this thread. Make a thread of your own if you wish to continue IMO. This has little to do with the initial point of this thread, a video of Hikki commenting on Ayu/any kind of ideas of a collabration. Sure it may not be a completly pointless discussion but within this thread, its unrelated and off topic.
agreed. Just because there is no conflict doesn't mean its ok. I don't see how this has to do with hikki at all anymore :S ~! its just ayu.

Anyways I thought iwas kinda rude that they boo'd too. But I don't blame them... lol although, people should be more considerate. Poor Ayu >< ~! lol! It seems like Drama is always attached to her name lol!

"Isn't it ironic that more people are interested in the maid rather than the queen of J-pop? Someone's losing their touch in the industry"
Old 30th March 2009, 05:07 AM
Depend on you Initiate

i think it disrespectful that the lady is threatening to fight ayu.
but i love AYUTADA's friendship forever.
Old 30th March 2009, 05:37 AM
Rule Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Eowyn View Post
It's called derailing or hijacking a thread and is against forums rules. Period.

Discuss ayu's profession in a thread about that.
Old 3rd May 2009, 02:41 AM
End roll Initiate

wow... Utada×Ayumi... That'd be interesting. But I'd listen to it. and buy it. and probably obsess over it... But that'd be really cool! I mean, they're, like, so different! it'd be really interesting to see what a collaboration between them would sound like.

omg, rock the boat. now THAT'd be funny!

I have brawler-game-like images of that hostess fighting through waves of bodygaurds to get to the final boss: AYU!!! DUN DUN DUN!!! *drops head* I know, I fail.

Awesome set from PinkShinigami. Thx!

My YT account:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AyuRox1
Old 3rd May 2009, 03:10 AM
Voyage Initiate

to end this noobish discussion about musicians, a musician IS:

A musician is a person who plays or writes music. Musicians can be classified by their roles in creating or performing music:

An instrumentalist plays a musical instrument.
A singer (or vocalist) uses his or her voice as an instrument.
Composers, songwriters and arrangers create musical compositions, songs and arrangements. These may be transcribed in music notation, performed or recorded.
A conductor leads a musical ensemble. A conductor can simultaneously act as an instrumentalist in the ensemble.
A recording artist creates recorded music, such as CDs and MP3 files.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
now, THE important part, to make sure some of you understand the whole musician concept, there are a lot of types of musicians. i can see some of you are linking musicians ONLY to be persons who play instruments, YOU'RE WRONG!!!

Types of musicians
Leaders
Conductor ˇ Bandleader ˇ Concertmaster

Composers
Composer ˇ Songwriter ˇ Arranger ˇ Orchestrator

Instrumentalists
Bassist or Double bassist ˇ Bassoonist ˇ Bandurist (Bandura player) ˇ Bouzouki player ˇ Cellist ˇ Clarinetist ˇ Drummer ˇ Euphoniumist ˇ Electronic musician ˇ Flautist ˇ Guitarist (Electric, Acoustic) ˇ Harpist ˇ Hornist (Horn player) ˇ Keyboardist (Keyboard player) ˇ Oboist ˇ Organist ˇ Pianist ˇ Percussionist ˇ Recorder player ˇ Saxophonist ˇ Sawist (musical saw player) ˇ Sitarist ˇ Trombonist ˇ Trumpeter (also Trumpet player) ˇ Tubist (Tuba player) ˇ Turntablist (DJ) ˇ Uillean piper ˇ Violinist ˇ Violist (Viola player)

Vocalists
Singer ˇ Rapper ˇ Screamer

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ATTENTION ^.^
Old 3rd May 2009, 03:19 AM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren0210989 View Post
to end this noobish discussion about musicians, a musician IS:

A musician is a person who plays or writes music. Musicians can be classified by their roles in creating or performing music:

An instrumentalist plays a musical instrument.
A singer (or vocalist) uses his or her voice as an instrument.
Composers, songwriters and arrangers create musical compositions, songs and arrangements. These may be transcribed in music notation, performed or recorded.
A conductor leads a musical ensemble. A conductor can simultaneously act as an instrumentalist in the ensemble.
A recording artist creates recorded music, such as CDs and MP3 files.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
now, THE important part, to make sure some of you understand the whole musician concept, there are a lot of types of musicians. i can see some of you are linking musicians ONLY to be persons who play instruments, YOU'RE WRONG!!!

Types of musicians
Leaders
Conductor ˇ Bandleader ˇ Concertmaster

Composers
Composer ˇ Songwriter ˇ Arranger ˇ Orchestrator

Instrumentalists
Bassist or Double bassist ˇ Bassoonist ˇ Bandurist (Bandura player) ˇ Bouzouki player ˇ Cellist ˇ Clarinetist ˇ Drummer ˇ Euphoniumist ˇ Electronic musician ˇ Flautist ˇ Guitarist (Electric, Acoustic) ˇ Harpist ˇ Hornist (Horn player) ˇ Keyboardist (Keyboard player) ˇ Oboist ˇ Organist ˇ Pianist ˇ Percussionist ˇ Recorder player ˇ Saxophonist ˇ Sawist (musical saw player) ˇ Sitarist ˇ Trombonist ˇ Trumpeter (also Trumpet player) ˇ Tubist (Tuba player) ˇ Turntablist (DJ) ˇ Uillean piper ˇ Violinist ˇ Violist (Viola player)

Vocalists
Singer ˇ Rapper ˇ Screamer

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ATTENTION ^.^
It has ended more than a month ago xD

Old 3rd May 2009, 03:51 AM
Greatful days Initiate

I always thought this was cute. It's funny though when you realize that the rivalry isn't between Utadasaki but between their fans who over dramatize everything. That crowd was hilarious. And Utada is humble. Stating that you're big over in Japan during an interview where you're promoting yourself and being asked questions is not an ego thing. It's the answering of questions factually. Go watch an interview of Kanye West's to get an accurate definition of someone who needs to start choking on some Humble Pie pronto. And I mean "Jam it down your throat. You can't vocord no more" choke.

I Have Never Tried On PERFUME Before, But There Is A First Time For Everything.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdolce View Post
Man, CoriKaru's posts are gold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtka-chan View Post
^Hell no, Ayu is not that pretty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrenekoi View Post
^ There's nothig wrong on being a slut...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumsushi View Post
I saw Ayu's dress and realized where the budget for the whole video went. On the dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoriKaru View Post
ayumistans I swear fo' gawd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelosama View Post
For some things you have Mastercard, for others you have Nakata Yasutaka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle ! View Post
Kuu Like a Sick And His midecin is near She should use it before it's gonna expire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klauser_Bateson View Post
So this is the girl who said her favorite Playstation game was Super Mario Bros. and held the PS Vita upside down at a press conference.

That aside, how's her music? Is it good?
Old 3rd May 2009, 04:38 AM
GAME Initiate

Wuh. They should brought Ayu there.

Facebook
Twitter
Blogspot
Tumblr
Weibo

Old 3rd May 2009, 12:21 PM
Sky high Protector

thanks for video
Old 3rd May 2009, 02:13 PM
I am... Initiate

I hope nobody minds if i give my 2 cents worth. According to the Associated Board of the Royal School of Music (ABRSM), they conduct examinations for a HUGE variety of instruments, including modern percussion and voice. There's even harp lol and musical theory... So technical definitions aside, i would assume anyone who goes in depth into an instrument or musical theory can be considered a musician. And ayu has made a career out of it furthermore with her voice.

Maybe you can say Hikaru is more skilled a musician because she has more muscial knowledge and education but that's about it i suppose.

What gets me about that video is how the interviewer had next to zero knowledge about the J-pop music scene... But i feel it's a good move on Hikaru's part to try to break into the Western market. It's making good use of her multi-lingual abilities.
Old 3rd May 2009, 04:11 PM
WE WISH Initiate

why put Lindsay and Paris up?

Tags
interview, utada hikaru