[Translation] SCawaii April 2014 Interview - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Celebrity News

Notices

Old 29th March 2014, 11:12 PM
Replace Initiate

SCawaii April 2014 Interview

I really liked this interview, so I translated it - sorry if anyone else has translated it already, I didn't see it anywhere. Enjoy!

Translation: Delirium-Zer0

---------------------------------------------------

______COVER GIRL CLOSE-UP!_______

Hamasaki Ayumi
New Step!

Ayumi Hamasaki

After her 15th Anniversary, ayu makes another new start.
Everyone feels insecure when taking new steps forward.
ayu is no different. But if we don't alter ourselves, nothing changes.
"Summon up your courage, get ready... You'll never know if you don't try!"

Photos: Gori Kuramoto (PygmyCompany) / Styling: Kei Ito (abfab) / Hair & Makeup: Yuusuke Kawakita / Nails: Miho Ookawara (esNAIL) / Eyelashes: Ketsumi Katayama (esNAIL)
Interview & Text: Takako Tsuriya / Design: Yoshitatsu Yamaya (Ma-hGra) / Layout: Yuuji Kakiuchi
*All clothing items are self-owned.

"Springtime means being thrilled.
It's a season where new beginnings make sense.
I, too, am taking steps again."

"A brand new attitude--
with that in mind,
these days I enjoy white again."

"Music and my daily life
are both important things. I could
never give up on either one."

When you resolve to do something, don't postpone.
"Right now," no matter what

---- What challenges are new for ayu (note: the person, not the product) right now?

"If I had to pick something, maybe that I've moved to L.A. I'm trying to get used to having a new environment and routine. Because there are nuances to it."

---- Are you the type of person who thinks really thoroughly about it before they try something new?

"Oh not at all! (laughs) I don't hesitate - when I think 'I wanna try such-and-such,' I wanna try it right now. My various mistakes, as everyone knows, have all been lessons. It may be because of how repetitive those lessons have been, but the result is that whatever happens, I'm completely without fear. Rather than being indecisive before taking action, I give it a shot right away. THEN if I think I've made a mistake, I can always change course, you know?"

---- What's a new challenge you've taken on in L.A.?

"The biggest thing is keeping my work and my private life strictly separated. But I haven't gotten good at that yet."

---- And what are some of your advantages?

"Even I don't know about that, so I'll wonder 'What could go wrong?' While I'm hopeful, I might still have a little bit of anxiety trying something new. Up until now I didn't think about time, I would wake up only when I wanted to wake up, and the next day I'd feel like just waking up whenever work happens. Now, whether or not there's anything going on, I invariably wake up at 8 AM, do yoga, get breakfast ready... I don't take any work phone calls after 9 PM. I don't bring work home, I've made the time spent at my house my private time. That's what I've been putting into practice. Naturally, when I make music, that's different though. With that, I'll say 'Let's see here...' and try something, but that might possibly result in me saying 'Sorry! Figures, I have no idea what I'm doing!' Still, I'll never know if I don't try once, right?"

---- There are a ton of things I don't know about because I haven't tried doing them. By the way, are you one of those people who plans pivotal moments on April 1st? (note: Alot of people sign leases, form companies, get married, etc on April 1st, and this is when the school year starts. It's the beginning of the fiscal year over there.)

"I don't care about that at all. (laughs) When I decide on something, it's for 'now.' For example, people will plan for 'next week' or say 'What month should I start dieting?' and stuff... on the contrary, I'm the type who's incapable of postponing anything. Because at that moment, I don't see anything to be concerned about. Whether I'm starting something or ending something, once I decide, I say 'I'm doing this now.'"

---- That's how it's been lately?

It has. Like right now, I've given up wine, but until now I was someone who had fun just looking at wine lists at wine clubs, so when I decided 'Alright, that'll do' it was a very tearful farewell. (laugh)

---- Hahaha! What would you say is a "new step" sort of thing for you as Hamasaki Ayumi (note: the product, not the person)?

"Probably that I've started working with L.A.-based producers. Now that I'm living in L.A., I thought 'I want to do work I could only do in L.A.' I was very proactive about it."

---- April is a time when meeting new people isn't unexpected, however for ayu that was when a new love began. How's that feel?

"I don't have any thoughts. It's often said 'He's my ultimate person! <3', and even I've said that, but "no big deal" is nice too, isn't it? There were guys who would both mistreat me at times AND make me say 'I went out with him again!' smiling. And let's just say that even when everyone around me hated the guy, I'd think 'Well I'M okay' and that'd be fine. But you know what? Guys that people around me are opposed to is quite the mistake pattern for me. (laugh)"

---- I know what you mean! They'll say "That's not the way to go" but you'll say "I'm going!"

"That is absolutely true! And my friends would say that but I would totally shut them out! (laughs) But it's my own life, so there's nothing for me to do except what I feel like doing."

---- Do you want to be in love more than you want to be loved?

"I think so. But I don't think I want to be the girlfriend of someone who's similar to me, personally. It seems like it'd be fun, but it also seems like it would be a disaster. (laughs) In reality, I think anyone who's talented at handling me is amazing. To anyone who's not that person I'd have to say 'Impossible!'"

---- Hahaha. Well, whether it's a new challenge or romance, mistakes are unavoidable, but what advice would you give?

"When you're doing anything, if you don't put as much effort as possible into it, that's no good. If you don't take it seriously, that's no good. You have to gather up all your willpower and make the attempt. Now, making a decision when you're full of anxiety isn't what I'd call the best idea, even if you've spent so long being worried that you've wasted time, you know? But whether you decide quickly by following your instincts, or you spend alot of time hesitating because you're apprehensive, whichever way you go about it is fine, but once you do make that decision, it is essential that you be resolute, and be ready to put everything into it."

---- How would you cheer on the young people who think to themselves "I want to become pretty!"?

"Haven't you already gotten started on it the moment you think 'I want to become pretty'? It's not that you're comparing yourself to someone else - I personally think it's a very good thing if we say 'I want to become pretty' compared to ourselves as we are right now, and just compete with ourselves. It's wonderful to have personal landmarks, and to take on challenges at those times. And I think if you start doing something and it really wears you out, that's when you have to really keep at it, because that's what brings good results. Keep progressing without letting anyone distract you! People are people. So we are who we are.♪"

"I don't compare myself to other people.
Because there's no reason to.
This is my life."

Last edited by Delirium-Zer0; 30th March 2014 at 02:14 AM.
Old 30th March 2014, 12:20 AM
from your letter Initiate

She's so damn lovely.

This album is building a somewhat different anxiety from me. I'm pretty sure it will be different from anything we heard before from her. More western, maybe?
It's the first time that I don't have any guesses about the path she's going with. And that's good.
Old 30th March 2014, 12:35 AM
A Song for XX Initiate

Thank you very much for translation! Good job Delirium!
Old 30th March 2014, 12:37 AM
ayu trance Initiate

Thank you for the translation!

Book collector, avid reader, writer, cat owner, part time owl who listens to JPOP, KPOP, metal, soundtracks, and instrumental music.

Old 30th March 2014, 12:37 AM
SURREAL Initiate

thanks for sharing. It always nice to read Ayu interview.
Old 30th March 2014, 12:43 AM
Lelio Protector

She is so encouraging in many ways! Thanks!!

She is still loveable and relatable, I wish that the japanese public would care and see it too. Oh well.
Old 30th March 2014, 12:55 AM
Two of us Initiate

It feels like there has been a shift within her. A kind of calm happiness. Great interview.
Old 30th March 2014, 01:10 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

I wonder if Japanese fans feel a little left out because she's made LA into her other home now.
Old 30th March 2014, 02:51 AM
Don't look back Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by truehappiness View Post
I wonder if Japanese fans feel a little left out because she's made LA into her other home now.
Lol do they even bother.

I sense this new maturity and yes "calm happiness" from ayu
really happy for her!
and I hope we get an awesome new album soon. This drought is too much
Old 30th March 2014, 06:49 AM
until that Day… Initiate

thanks for sharing the translation!
Old 30th March 2014, 09:19 AM
Two of us Initiate

Thanks for sharing the translation
Old 30th March 2014, 02:53 PM
POWDER SNOW Initiate

Thank you!
Old 30th March 2014, 06:07 PM
Sky high Protector

Thank you for the translation.
It's quite interesting.
Her new hubby really changed her. I don't bring work home, I've made the time spent at my house my private time. He defeated our workaholic. XD
Old 30th March 2014, 09:23 PM
Endless sorrow Initiate

Thanks so much for the translation, this is so interesting!!
Omg, I feel she's changed so much already. Like she's the proper adult version of herself.
Living in LA, conforming to its lifestyle, trying to change her lifelong work attitude, admitting not listening to close people with love decisions brought her trouble...
She sounds so grown up, and this all feels so much like a fresh new start.
I'm not gonna lie, I don't releate too much to her right now (I feel much closer to her early lyrics, given my age, lol), but damn, she's becoming more of a role model to me now. She sounds kind of wise.

Hello new me...

Old 31st March 2014, 03:07 AM
Initiate

Thanks! Reading her interviews is always nice - I'm glad she's managing her time well.
Old 31st March 2014, 08:55 AM

Thanks a lot for the translation!
Old 31st March 2014, 10:18 AM
Connected Initiate

I really like her opinion in the recent interviews.
Very strong, mature and down-to-earth. I love that she lives her life she wants it to be!

And wow she officially lives in LA now...
Old 31st March 2014, 03:36 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

Thanks so much for the translation! Very encouraging can't wait for the new album and new direction from Ayu
Old 31st March 2014, 06:37 PM
WE WISH Initiate

I love this. I'm glad she's like officially moved to LA. So she can be near her husband I'm guessing. And I hope she adjusts well.

She seems so wise sometimes. And still your average person who makes mistakes. But learns from them. I feel her lol. She seems very aware of things also.

Ayu 💛 JASMINE 💛 Hikki 💛 Eiko 💛 MELL
♡ MUCC ♡

Twitter

Old 31st March 2014, 09:39 PM
RED LINE ~for TA~ Initiate

Always love and admire the lessons she's learned in life~

thanks deli <3

☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆

- The "New Artists You're Trying Out" Thread -

don't forget to spread the kuu

Tags
interview, scawaii, translation