[Charts & Rankings] The Official Oricon Thread ~Colours~ - Page 6 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Music News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 3rd July 2014, 08:41 AM
RED LINE ~for TA~ Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionfactory View Post
That's totally nonsense because Tomochin who got #6 did SEVERAL TV appareances, CMs, news coverage and promotional events lol
Tomochin doesn't have the core fanbase that ayu had though. The fact that their spots are so close to each other is more a commentary on ayu's place now.

But I'm actually proud of Tomochin even though I'm not really a fan. I first heard about her album on twitter because the models I follow were all posting about purchasing it. And I listened to some of the songs (and after I got over her voice XD) um...they're not bad at all. Some of them are really good!

As much as I love my crazy deep, artistic music, I'll always have an appreciation for fun and great entertainment, and I think a lot of people do.

I think it's great for her that she's juuuuuuuussttt behind Ayu. If life was great, and the industry wasn't so toxic for females, she might even be beating out people like Ayu.

Anyways, deli <3 and sympathy for maikaru~

☆ bunnnniiiieeeesssss ☆

- The "New Artists You're Trying Out" Thread -

don't forget to spread the kuu

Old 3rd July 2014, 11:01 AM
Depend on you Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by emi♡ View Post
Tomochin doesn't have the core fanbase that ayu had though. The fact that their spots are so close to each other is more a commentary on ayu's place now.
This.
Tomomi's album is what LOVE again was to Ayu. She released most of the songs in the album before, and just included 4 new ones.
It's, what I like to call, a "let's clean to closet" album and a "cover letter" at the same time.
A year ago she was still in AKB, and she just turned 23, so she still has plenty of time to develop.

Quote:
That's totally nonsense because Tomochin who got #6 did SEVERAL TV appareances, CMs, news coverage and promotional events lol
Can you link me to these SEVERAL TV appearances? Cause all I've seen is this performance.
A medley would've been way better. Dear J > BRIGHTER > SWAGGALICIOUS > Crush.

Oh, well! In any case, she remembers how she started, how AKB started:

AKB wasn’t big in the beginning either. It was through the little efforts that made them as big as they are today.

So don't worry. She'll stay around.

---

As for Ayu. The album doesn't really have an "album" feeling. How can XOXO, Pray and Terminal be on the same album? For real.
The songs aren't bad per se, but I'm never in the mood to listen to the whole thing, with all those changes.
If I listen to XOXO, I go to Gaga, JLo stuff later (Red One and all that).
If I listen to Pray, I go to her other ballads.
And on and on.

I'm super proud of her for including Lico in one of her PVs though.
Old 3rd July 2014, 11:16 AM
Far away Initiate

She's still #5 today. Less than 15k..
Old 3rd July 2014, 11:38 AM
Lelio Protector

LOVE again's 2nd day was 11,010 so if it's around it then it's pretty great that ayu doesn't drop/barely drops between years/albums (2013-2014).

Question if it's really around LOVE again's numbers or in the single thousands.
Old 3rd July 2014, 11:49 AM
Far away Initiate

Yup... perhaps it sold more than LOVE again 1st&2nd day already
Old 3rd July 2014, 12:18 PM
Lelio Protector

Which would be a complete contradiction to whatever has been said on the last few pages, but we cannot know for sure. I prefer to wait. I still expect for the "worst".

About some of the things that has been said on the last few pages though. I'm sure that the Japanese are not interested in ayu enough for years so it really doesn't matter what ayu would do, great or aweful (talking about music/visual work/performaces). She is not at a state that the Japanese audience cares enough for it, so she doesn't have to care and deliver what they want, so she finally does the things her way how she wants them. You can love it or hate it. Also, if her sales are not going to drop by a huge amount, it pretty much means that she and her team did a good job getting what they wanted (to try to maintain as much sales as possible) and not shove her to the public to make her popular again, ayu is CLEARLY not interested in it, or else she wouldn't have a choice but to do things differently, wether people like it or not, it's not the problem with ayu's actions, it's the problem with how people/fans recieve it around here (because in Japan except for mainly her fanbase no one cares). And well, except for namie (which is on a different path) there are no other artists that are as veteran as ayu that are still accomplishing that she does, so it's now like she is in a hell state, nor interested in a heavenly one. People also choose to ignore of her capability of making loads of money and with no relation of money for her great perfomances (didn't a lot of people were amazed at Angel's performance?) and still being capable of having a huge crowd per year (and most money comes from it).
The SHOWCASE itself was the main promotion point of the album and if ayu doesn't end up seliing 40,000 in total with it then it did the job. Overall the SHOWCASE should have brought her around 100,000 attendants.

And that's without mentioning Hello new me's digital decent success (hopefully enough to be certified gold).

I totally understand the disconnecion here or distant getting between fans to ayu, but there are many differences between it, her state in Japan, and if the work she does is good or bad.

Rather than people (besides myself), I take artists as a validation on critisizing ayu's work, like the people who work or wants to work with her (Big producers like Red One and Darkchild, even Fedde le grande who's coming to my country for a summer party event, DJing with artists like Aviici and David Guetta, m-flo who are big into artists who make high quality music and like less others that make music just because, namie and kuu who go to see ayu's concerts from time to time). How come these artists don't feel the disconnection and "aweful" work ayu does?

And really, Lelio made me enjoy music like I haven't been for a long time (including ayu herself).

Adding that about the fact that tomomi's album has only 4 new songs, if anything that fact should HELP her because in Japan they love compilations, better than original albums and if it's mainly made of singles then it should even play better for her so it's a reason to sell better in japan, not the opposite.

Last edited by ayumisrael; 3rd July 2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 3rd July 2014, 12:41 PM
P.S II Initiate

I wonder why people says the album sucks and blame ayu for that now we have the oricon numbers, but 2 weeks ago everyone seems to think its average/good. It's like base your opinion of the quality of the album in the sales it has.

About promotion, there are lots of billboards in Tokyo, an exhibition in Tower Records and PV's were released on TV as always(?), also the showcase with "free" cds is promotion, the showcase itself. Let's wait till the weekend with the final dates. I think there will be a boost in sales.

I am only sad because I used to love her TV performances. It seems the last incidents she had made her think about not have any... But on the other hand she deserved some rest and enjoy life with whoever she want. Just with royalties she earns enough money to live forever, even her luxury life lol

Old 3rd July 2014, 01:01 PM
UNITE! Initiate

These numbers. Look sad. I concur with Maikaru and Delirium-Zer0's posts.

That said, I can't fault people for losing interest and not enjoying Ayu as they did before because the exact same thing happened to me. I don't look forward to her releases anymore. It's just like, oh Ayu has a new album, nice. I listen to it and feel like I don't even want to listen to it for a second time. Or buy it. It's not that I feel the music became horrible or so.

It's just that I don't feel any emotions when listening.

No - yay, I want to listen to this more and more and more.
No - I wonder what kind of PV Ayu created for this song.

All I feel is indifference. It's depressing.
Old 3rd July 2014, 01:07 PM
Lelio Protector

The point is that sales wouldn't be any different/better if this whole forum would drool over it and it would make people feel it brightly. =)
Old 3rd July 2014, 01:15 PM
UNITE! Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayumisrael View Post
The point is that sales wouldn't be any different/better if this whole forum would drool over it and it would make people feel it brightly. =)
That's true. But then Ayu would still have her long time supporters on her side. But you're right, she probably doesn't care.
Old 3rd July 2014, 01:49 PM
WE WISH Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelacanth View Post
I think Ayu is capable of better. I think we all do. I hope she reads some of these comments, because as snarky as some of our posts may be, some of us mean it passionately and constructively (there's also a lot of trolls here that just have nowhere else to be though).

I remember complaining about the "yes-men" surrounding Ayu around the time of Mirrorcle World when her photoshoots, PV's, and overall image started to take a huge dive. It's gotten much much much much worse though since then. Her staff is everywhere. She needs to regain control of HER career and HER art.

I have to say, unlike some of you I still think her music is pretty damn good (especially relative to most J-pop)... Visuals though are god awful. Might be a good concept, but poor execution. However, I've always thought there was a disconnect between her image/PV's and her music. Her only stellar PV's IMO are the Kouki Tange ones, Endless sorrow, Don't look back, and maybe a few others. The rest are merely acceptable to downright embarrassing/bizarre. There's almost a camp factor to many of her recent ones...

Anyway, I hope Ayu starts seriously reflecting on her work and the state of her career.

EDIT: I wish some of you here would stop giving Japanese xenophobia a pass. The fact that it's SUCH a spectacle and joke that Ayu is marrying "foreigners" (why does this seem to be uttered with a kind of contempt?) and choosing to reside in the U.S. isn't something to take lightly.
I agree with a lot of what you say if not all of it.

And I really do think a lot of her music is still much better than that of other artists and groups. Which is why I listen, I still enjoy her music. Even though it's very different from the music of my other favorite artists. I like her image for the booklet and the cover is fine minus the font. But the image overall is flawed due to the usage of everything and the pvs.

I like reasonable critique of ayu like this and what a few other members have. Some other stuff is like, really? Like when someone complains about an American. I just don't study those people. But otherwise I understand a lot of different perspectives especially different personal feelings. It's sad but true stuff

Ayu 💛 JASMINE 💛 Hikki 💛 Eiko 💛 MELL
♡ MUCC ♡

Twitter

Old 3rd July 2014, 01:59 PM
Depend on you Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayumisrael View Post
Adding that about the fact that tomomi's album has only 4 new songs, if anything that fact should HELP her because in Japan they love compilations, better than original albums and if it's mainly made of singles then it should even play better for her so it's a reason to sell better in japan, not the opposite.
The thing is the album isn't labelled as a "Best of", but as "1st album", so it doesn't get that kind of promotion.

I agree with the rest of your post though. I feel Ayu's been doing pretty much what she likes for a couple of years (I'd say since the (miss)understood era).
The thing is, these songs would have sounded much better as stand-alone songs, IMO.
If she had turned this into a 5-week-string-single release or something (with the PVs and some performances here and there), I think more people would have checked it out. But an album out of the blue without any sort of cohesion... I'm not feeling it.
Old 3rd July 2014, 02:33 PM
End of the World Initiate

Quote:
Tomomi has her own scandals and she's not liked very much. Her plastic surgery pictures that float on the internet don't help at all. And never equate "Tomochin" with Ayu because they were in two very separate places at two very very separate times.

Like you guys, I am 100% not trying to be like "AYU SUCKS AT EVERYTHING" but at the same time I am 100% sad because I see the long term effect this has on her career.

She says she wants to continue singing, but it seems so effing sloppy and last minute. I know that it probably wasn't, I know. But that's how it seems because the production is so not on par. I get that we all have varying opinions on her voice, so I won't talk about that anymore, but the I'm getting some extremely mixed messages from Ayu and I'm tired.

Back to the long term effect. We all know that she has had trouble selling out even Osaka, and you guys, that's a big deal. Osaka is the second largest city in Japan, and I know there were many factors involved, but there are over 8 million people living in the Osaka area, you couldn't find 15,000 people who would go to the hall? I am so so so scared.

With the way this album sounds and the results of the chart, and the attendance records, I don't know how long this will go on before Avex pulls the plug and stops giving her money. First and foremost, Avex is a business, and if it starts losing money, that's it. Ayu is in trouble, that's what I feel. I honestly think she's actually started doing this all with her own money too. I can't honestly imagine Avex pouring all this money so that she could go off to LA, bring her dance crew, and produce less-than-professional videos. Was there ANY REASON AT ALL for Lico to be in the XOXO video? No.

She needs to start showing that she cares. Not just say it. Go out there, do promotional activities, meet your fans, do whatever the EFF IT TAKES. Show the fans that you actually care, and don't make empty promises like having two fans on a song that you record during your 10th Anniversary. Where is that song anyways? Need I say more?

BRB GUYS GOTTA BE EMOTIONAL AGAIN. I feel like my childhood has been lost LOL

Last edited by maikaru; 3rd July 2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 3rd July 2014, 03:36 PM
Lelio Protector

Wasn't the Osaka thing only on the date that wasn't the weekend? I didn't see anything after that or that there was a problem with the weekend dates unless if I missed it.

You can also not know how much money ayu does/is helping make with the tours/goods, releases and digital royalties she does, so we can't know that ayu has to put her own money into stuff she does yet as well.

Hell why taking a song of her for a drama again if she is that bad to use? They could easily replace her with a better choice if they would see fit. And that has nothing to do with avex since after the 1st season they owed them nothing. As much as the japanese are not interested in her anymore, it still doesn't look like she is in a certain aweful state or what not. Looking at the Tales of Xillia tie-ins as well and both songs sold over 100,000 digitally.

Btw the 2nd season has an average rating of 12.9 (first season was 12.4 with how beautiful you are that sold over 100,000 digitally) with no relation to ayu lol. But Hello new me seemed to do well on recochoku. Even better than the new ballada versions of namie's Ballada album.
I also see that it's still #6 on the albums ranking, wasn't it up for download 2-3 weeks already?

Anyway, yeah, things don't look bad for her, not that she has to use her own money, but we can never know if she does unless if she tells us.

I'm also interested to know how does things she does are last minute, if she was working on this album like 6 months in advance (if didn't have plans and started even earlier). Still, I can get people who didn't like the album, and it's their right and just natural, but some of the reasonings are just plain look like "just for the sake of...". You don't like the music/art/PVs look aweful. It doesn't mean as a fact that ayu doesn't care, ayu didn't put effort and ayu didn't work hard on it, because that would be a lie. It can feel to you like she didn't, but state it as a fact and throw lazy at her every two lines is just isn't right.
Especially since she worked on both album and the SHOWCASE, and you can't say that the things she does there are lazy too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mai82Go View Post
That's true. But then Ayu would still have her long time supporters on her side. But you're right, she probably doesn't care.
ayu should care about making music, not to feed fans with a golden spoon.

Last edited by ayumisrael; 3rd July 2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 3rd July 2014, 04:03 PM
WE WISH Initiate

Does her album get sold at her concert dates? Do people buy it there? Does it count less? Just wondering.

Also, someone asked why there was reason to have Lico in the XOXO pv. That's probably the nicest part of that pv. Starring Lico. I don't know what it's like for the transsexual community in Japan but I know here, it's nice to feature a transsexual performer. I remember someone saying here that she should have just had one of her other female dancers. But that's the problem. That's why I like that it's Lico.

Ayu 💛 JASMINE 💛 Hikki 💛 Eiko 💛 MELL
♡ MUCC ♡

Twitter

Last edited by primavera♥; 3rd July 2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 3rd July 2014, 04:05 PM
Lelio Protector

Well it's not new that ayu love the LGTB and transexual community and supports it. =)

Last time I checked oricon count 30% of sales at live venues, but they usually don't really help to boost sales, maybe because most people that go to the live already got it.
Old 3rd July 2014, 04:38 PM
HAPPY ENDING Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by primavera♥ View Post
Does her album get sold at her concert dates? Do people buy it there? Does it count less? Just wondering.

Also, someone asked why there was reason to have Lico in the XOXO pv. That's probably the nicest part of that pv. Starring Lico. I don't know what it's like for the transsexual community in Japan but I know here, it's nice to feature a transsexual performer. I remember someone saying here that she should have just had one of her other female dancers. But that's the problem. That's why I like that it's Lico.
Yes, the albums are sold at the venue, and yes, it does count less (1/3) in Oricon. Colours mostly didn't go through this and I curious to see how her new marketing strategies will affect the final sales.

http://stan-wars.com/1989.html

I live around AHS (Ayumi Haters Sekai)

Old 3rd July 2014, 05:49 PM
Depend on you Initiate

I dont understand the problem here, I´m happy that she isn´t that girl from "Alterna" MV. She knew if she keep that way she will be thrown away like a doll. I´m glad she keeps making music. I love this Cd, Lelio, Xoxo I have so much fun listening to it, actually are the first songs that my parents sings when I listen to it. So... She "just wanna have fun like a girl does"
Old 3rd July 2014, 06:31 PM
INSPIRE Initiate

1st Week

2nd Day

Position: #5
Old 3rd July 2014, 06:53 PM
Gut it-pez Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium-Zer0 View Post
I absolutely want to hug you right now. I feel mostly the same. I enjoy the album on a shallow level (I actually like voices that do what hers is doing for most of this album - Angel is the only place on the album where I feel like she's just plain doing it wrong), but as a long-time Ayu fan. I don't like it as an Ayu album at all for those exact reasons.

The connection between us and her just seems to be totally severed.

Coelacanth mentioned above that there's a lack of canon in the japanese pop music world, and that's so true. There can't be one because there's never critical analysis of any of it. I feel like Ayu has always been very deliberate and careful about her presentation, but over the years she's collected a team of "yes" men who just do whatever she says, but she has no one correcting her, making her aware of things she's doing wrong, or helping guide her so she uses her greatest talents most effectively and hands off the things she's bad at to other people.

This album, for example, has proven that Ayu and her team are NOT filmmakers and should never be in charge of making the videos ever ever ever again. Ever. But she'll do it again because NO ONE around her is telling her not to.

It's a bad habit she got into over a decade ago - doing things she's not talented enough to do, while suppressing the things she's best at. Because she has no one guiding her. There are no J-pop critics whose reviews she can read and say "Okay, I won't do that anymore." There aren't people telling her objectively that an outfit she's wearing doesn't look good on her. Her three sources of input are fans who are fervently for or against absolutely everything, hikikomori internet bashers, and the "okay boss whatever you say" types that work for her. That's not an environment where high quality creative output can thrive.

And yeah, what's really upsetting is that over the years, we've SEEN the greatness she's capable of. Every now & then she'll have a great piece of work that restores my faith in her at least partially, but they prove to be teases - in the end, she goes back to phoning it in, making something safe and boring and disconnected just for the sake of making something. And no one is truly helping guide her towards doing truly great work. She has worshippers and haters, but no true lovers of her work that are helping her be the best she can be. And it's really upsetting.

But I've been watching this downward spiral of the Hamasaki Ayumi product for years, and I knew it'd get to this point eventually. The alterna video ended up coming true, and it's killing me to watch it happen.
I kinda disagreed with you the point that no one is feedback to ayu of what she shouldn't do, or what she should have done... IMO, i think those recent albums are mainly 90% idea came from ayu, but not because she doesnt have anyone to guide her... Rather, I think she is producing what she wants, instead of what the company wants (that would probably suits most of the people around)...

I might be very wrong, but yrs ago, I think that ayu has revealed too much of herself to us (she used to be like someone who doesnt really care about anything, a super cool person)... and that results the loss of the mysterious-ness in her... (I rmb someone in this forum mentioned bout this as well...). And I think, it also gotta do with the fact that she does not want to be treated as a product. Irony, this didn't turn out to be quite right... Coincidentally, her voice also become deeper as each yr goes on...

Now, I think she is living the way she wants, and she's enjoying it (i think at her stage of life, probably she needs someone who loves her, and that's more than enough?) But still, I think that she is putting her very best in giving the best quality music to us... Just that, it's in her way of doing so, rather than following to the company's way... Furthermore, I think despite her low popularity, she should still have a much say in the company...
Closed Thread