Ayu's lyrics meanings.. Help? - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Enquiries

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you think about Ayu's lyrics?
Perfectly understandable.. Not THAT deep.. 14 51.85%
*Skips the booklet and translations* Her music is good.. 13 48.15%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st September 2005, 03:52 PM
Banned

Question Ayu's lyrics meanings.. Help?

It seems not only her videos are a little obscure, some of her lyrics are too.. Care to explain these lyrics in your own terms? All lyrics are Masa's translations from the Divine Ayu website, the number one Ayu site on the NET! (AHS is the Number 1 FORUM..)

Quote:
A)"Duty" from the album "Duty"

If, after simplifying it
a bit more, you think that "it"
merely connects and arranges memories,
then wouldn't everyone
already have "it?"
I want you to realize that.
1)WHAT IS "IT"? Is it a person or some kind of magical being?
2)Merely connects and rearranges memories? Wont that change a persons memories, resulting in a change of personality? Why do that?

Quote:
B) "STEP you"

The gap between idealism and reality
Is so very cutting
And as we cannot cut them off, they are opening up.
oh yeah yeah yeah
1)The lyrics sounds SOOOO COOOLLL but what exactly do they mean? Especially "so very cutting" and "the gap between idealism and reality". Shouldnt it be between reality and fantasy?
2)What does she mean by "1,2,Step you"? Is it "want to step on you"? But why?

Thank you for answering these questions, even if they may seem absurd to some.. I cant sleep thinking about those, not to mention many more.. Sorry if this bothers you ARIGATO!!
Old 1st September 2005, 04:28 PM
Born To Be... Initiate

Location: Australia-Brisbane, where kangaroos jump around my backyard
ummm..i have no idea wat "IT" means, im not very good at analysing Ayuy's lyrics

yeah i love Ayu's lyrics, it's very different and meaningful
Old 2nd September 2005, 02:45 AM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

I didn't know what to vote ?__? But I read masa's translations and I have always thought she wrote deep lyrics... I love her lyrics... they really do have underlying meanings all throught the songs... and you can really relate to alot of them

..::|Do no evil|::..

Old 2nd September 2005, 03:06 AM
Born To Be... Initiate

Location: Australia-Brisbane, where kangaroos jump around my backyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarumi
I didn't know what to vote ?__?
haha mee too~, so thats why i havent voted yet...
Old 2nd September 2005, 03:08 AM
theme of a-nation '03 Initiate

i think Ayu's lyrics would be veyr hard to understand if you didnt speak japanese. A lot of things are lostor just dont make sence through the translation process. Even the best of translaters can't get some thoughts across

XANGA
Old 2nd September 2005, 05:47 AM
Replace Initiate

Since it takes less effort to do so, I'll address the "STEP you" lyrics first.

Honestly, I think "STEP you" just means "dance with me" (think of her as saying "Step, you!" like a harsh command). Dancing is two people moving in unison to a structured rhythm. People in relationships move together through their lives. Think of it that way and maybe you can understand better.

Saying "fantasy" instead of "idealism" doesn't QUITE get the point across. "fantasy" implies things desired, but totally unreasonable to expect. Like getting a pet dragon or something. It's just WAY out there, never gonna happen, but... it would be nice to have. "Idealism" is more of a possible best-case scenario that you'd like. Like dating a guy you're really good friends with. It might not happen, but it IS possible and, ideally, it would happen.

Now i'm gonna read the Duty lyrics at length (for the first time ever since its release XD i know, i suck), and try to figure out what "it" is. Then I'll edit this post or post again.

EDIT:
Okay, I'm gonna do my take on it. Here's masa's translation of the same passage from "Duty" that you quoted...

Quote:
Well, telling it a little more simply,
"It" is just a group of memories
Connected and arranged
So everyone would have "it"
In their hands before they know
I hope they are aware
"It" appears to be a feeling, or an idea of who you really are. Alot of people in the late 90's and even up to now are trying to figure out who they are in this fast-paced society, as hectic work schedules and rigorous studying leave little time for soul-searching. Alot of people don't really know what they like, what kind of person they want to be, or who their real friends are because they can't afford to put that sort of thing as a high priority. People are constantly hoping for something to come along that will give them a sudden epiphany in which they realize who they are. But that can never happen; it is the past that forms who we are today. Our meaning for living, our personality, is already inside us. We already know who we are, we just need to realize it.

Last edited by Delirium-Zer0; 2nd September 2005 at 05:54 AM.
Old 2nd September 2005, 05:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium-Zer0
Honestly, I think "STEP you" just means "dance with me". Dancing is two people moving in unison to a structured rhythm. People in relationships move together through their lives. Think of it that way and maybe you can understand better.

Saying "fantasy" instead of "idealism" doesn't QUITE get the point across. "fantasy" implies things desired, but totally unreasonable to expect. Like getting a pet dragon or something. It's just WAY out there, never gonna happen, but... it would be nice to have. "Idealism" is more of a possible best-case scenario that you'd like. Like dating a guy you're really good friends with. It might not happen, but it IS possible and, ideally, it would happen.
Dance with me? then it makes sense.. yeah, I get the point on Idealism.. THANKS!! Waiting for Duty..
Old 2nd September 2005, 05:54 AM
Replace Initiate

Post edited ^^ kind of a lengthy explanation but i hope it's understandable.
Old 2nd September 2005, 06:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium-Zer0
"It" appears to be a feeling, or an idea of who you really are. Alot of people in the late 90's and even up to now are trying to figure out who they are in this fast-paced society, as hectic work schedules and rigorous studying leave little time for soul-searching. Alot of people don't really know what they like, what kind of person they want to be, or who their real friends are because they can't afford to put that sort of thing as a high priority. People are constantly hoping for something to come along that will give them a sudden epiphany in which they realize who they are. But that can never happen; it is the past that forms who we are today. Our meaning for living, our personality, is already inside us. We already know who we are, we just need to realize it.
WOW!!! Where did you get THIS from? THATS SOOO DEEP!! Yeah I understand it perfectly!! Nobody really wants to spend time to find out more about their identity and life even if its important, they expect information about those to just come automatically. Thats why most humans turn to superstitions. Sudden epiphany is the exact term! Wow, you must be smart...
Old 2nd September 2005, 06:15 AM
Replace Initiate

I've been analyzing lyrics since i was 14. Started with Tori Amos, Stevie Nicks, and Joni Mitchell, so... yeah, that's not beginner stuff. Ayu's easier, but only slightly.

Where did I get it? I dunno, it just kinda struck me that that's what she was talking about. I think wataru's translations made unreasonable stretches at times. I like seeing the more literal translations then interpreting them myself. Wataru put pronouns in that weren't there, so alot of passages made no sense on his translations. Plus alot of ayu's lyrics have double meanings, or deliberately obscure meanings so it can apply to whoever is listening. Wataru intruded on ayu's lyrics alot, i think. Anyway, when I looked up masa's translation (which is only proofread so it's more grammatically correct in english, no blanks are filled in) i knew what it meant. It was alot easier to understand.
Old 2nd September 2005, 06:22 AM
Banned

OMG, YOU'RE A SUPER GENIUS.. Then I think if there's a lyrics thread for Ayu here, you should do the translations!! Yeah, I LOVE TORI AMOS (new fan, since Tales Of A librarian) and now I'm reading about the title track off The Beekeper, I LOVE THAT SONG, its really sad.. Anyway THANKS SOOO MUCH!!!!!
Old 2nd September 2005, 06:30 AM
Replace Initiate

Cool, another Tori fan!! Yeah, trying to figure out the meaning behind all of her Boys for Pele album is taxing to say the least, but it was so worth it... i just weep whenever i listen to the album now.

For anyone who's reading this thread and doesn't really pay THAT much attention to ayu's lyrics, you should. Once you really get them figured out, there are some that will make you REALLY feel. Once you know the lyrics to a tear-worthy song, you WILL cry listening to it. Ayu's lyrics really are very very good. Songs like "Who...", "ever free", and "teddy bear" might make you cry regardless, but "Far away", "POWDER SNOW", and "HANABI" will definitely make you cry once you know what they're saying.

Some lyrics of hers are just brilliant, not necessarily sad. They just make you think. Some of my favorites are "SURREAL", "Catcher in the Light" (only four lines, but, like a haiku, they hit you hard in a very short time), "forgiveness", and "everywhere nowhere".

Other songs are very good at using poetic devices like alliteration ("Connected"), which is REALLY rare in japanese lyrics, repetition of structure ("ourselves"), and references to well-known sayings ("Moments"). Some just have wonderful imagery, like "Dearest", "appears", and "Fly high".

And has anyone noticed how often ayu quotes herself, making sequels to songs? "And then" quotes "A Song for XX", "Replace" quotes "Who..." (which is why it's replaced "Who..." as her closing song in concert, it's the sequel to it), "vogue" quotes "Hana", "winding road" seems to refer to "Fly high"... and there are others I can't think of, but she does do this often.

Alot of thought & creativity really go into Ayu's lyrics.

Last edited by Delirium-Zer0; 2nd September 2005 at 06:40 AM.
Old 2nd September 2005, 07:00 AM
Banned

wELL, I dont really feel a strong emotion when listening to Ayu because I dont understand her lyrics. On the other hand, Tori really makes me emotional with songs like The Beekeper, The Power Of Orange Knickers, Toast, Ribbons Undone, Jackie's Strength and Spark!
Old 2nd September 2005, 07:19 AM
WHATEVER Initiate

Woah! the lyrics is so meaningful!! Thanks, Delirium-zerO!!

Hold the flowers to your heart,
and pray that they may some day bloom.

Old 2nd September 2005, 09:01 AM
Endless sorrow Initiate

Ayumi's lyrics always mean a lot to me. The lyrics to fairyland espescially hit home.

"Even now I don't understand the meaning of growing up
But I wonder what that kid and that person are aiming at

They're probably walking around

Daybreak comes quickly these days
The smell of the wind changed, too

As if I'm reminiscing, or as if I haven't noticed
My heart starts to be faster"

These words really mean a lot to me.

I don't think the two options for the poll give much range. I think Ayumi's lyrics are very, very deep. But I don't skip them, once I am able to sit and read a translation, I feel stronger about the song. Like with Teddy Bear for example, everytime I hear it (espescially live versions) I want to start crying.

Gimme more

Last edited by lotusoka; 2nd September 2005 at 09:05 AM.
Old 2nd September 2005, 01:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusoka
Ayumi's lyrics always mean a lot to me. The lyrics to fairyland espescially hit home.

"Even now I don't understand the meaning of growing up
But I wonder what that kid and that person are aiming at

They're probably walking around

Daybreak comes quickly these days
The smell of the wind changed, too

As if I'm reminiscing, or as if I haven't noticed
My heart starts to be faster"

These words really mean a lot to me.

I don't think the two options for the poll give much range. I think Ayumi's lyrics are very, very deep. But I don't skip them, once I am able to sit and read a translation, I feel stronger about the song. Like with Teddy Bear for example, everytime I hear it (espescially live versions) I want to start crying.
yEAH, I realized the options on the poll had a problem .. Nice to see that you also dont understand Japanese!! Many of us dont !!!
Old 2nd September 2005, 02:22 PM
ayu-ro mix 2 Initiate

well, I´m a person that can read through human (sights right?),how they behave, how they talk and what ayu is singing for me can be "deciphered" in my own way no one can know the truth behind her lyrics til 100%

Born By The Sword, Die By The Sword
The Fear For Blood Tends To Create Fear For The Flesh

~Yours Sincerely MortalSex
Old 2nd September 2005, 05:01 PM
Replace Initiate

The way ayu sings can often give you at least an idea of what the song is about. I do have to admit that was one of the things that drew me to her to begin with.

I love the lyrics to fairyland also... saying how even though she never had a real childhood to speak of, she can still tell that she's grown quite a bit. I can really understand that.
Old 19th November 2005, 05:24 AM
glitter Initiate

I always love the way you explain things Delirium. The Duty riddle was indeed rather enlightening. I hope to see more of these.

Even if you cannot hear my voice. I'll be right beside you dear.

Set by pepper

Crossover x A Hitomi Shimatani Forum

Old 19th November 2005, 06:38 AM
SURREAL Initiate

what I think on the plot of the STEP you is...

'1,2, STEP you' = is like yea she wants to step on something..meaning she wants to forget all her doubts or anything she wants to put away....It's like stepping off on all your fears and hindrances in life.... get it? ^^

'The gap between idealism and reality'=the line which seperates "something"

Is so very cutting'=can't be inevitable? (did i use the right word?) it's like they can't avoid the fact that they';re seperated.

'And as we cannot cut them off, they are opening up.'=we cannot do anything for it, but slowly we it is fading...it's like they're slowly trying to understand everything...

'oh yeah yeah yeah'=and yeah oh yeah yeah yeah! ^____^

and DUTY....

'If, after simplifying it a bit more, you think that "it"=after trying to understand eveyrthing once in awhile

'merely connects and arranges memories,'=the thing/problems/fears/wants/possessions slowly tries to recover our memories...

'then wouldn't everyone already have "it?"'= she's saying about the thing/problems/fears/wants/possessions

'I want you to realize that. '=yeah! she want you to realized that!