CDL 11/12 opinions thread - Page 2 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·

Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Ayumi Hamasaki Forums > Ayu Chat-Room

Notices

View Poll Results: Did you enjoy the CDL?
Yes, alot! 77 47.24%
It was good but not amazing. 52 31.90%
Meh, was ok I guess. 21 12.88%
Didn't like it at all. 13 7.98%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st January 2012, 01:20 PM
Don't look back Initiate

yes..and she was really small when they zoomed out..so its so easy to lose her in that myriad of colours and crazy amount of people on stage..
Old 1st January 2012, 05:02 PM

I sooooooo loved it!!!! Her vocals were amazing! I'm so glad I watched it!
Old 1st January 2012, 08:14 PM
Dolls Initiate

I really enjoyed watching it. Her voice was really good.. and the show also.
But.. she sat more than usualy.. I think. But.. I think it is ok. Maybee it is because of she can sing better, when she don't walk around the whole time?
Party Queen and How beautiful you are are really good songs.
So.. it was a really really greate show, in my Opinion.
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:28 AM
from your letter Initiate

I've just started watching it, and I love the stage.

Spoiler:

However, I don't like the silver dress--Ayu's cleavage draws too much attention.

"I've been and am absurdly over-estimated.
There are no supermen, and I'm quite ordinary, and will say so whatever the artistic results.
In that point I'm one of the few people who tell the truth about myself.
"--T.E.Lawrence

Old 2nd January 2012, 02:01 AM
from your letter Initiate

"I've been and am absurdly over-estimated.
There are no supermen, and I'm quite ordinary, and will say so whatever the artistic results.
In that point I'm one of the few people who tell the truth about myself.
"--T.E.Lawrence

Old 2nd January 2012, 02:49 AM
walking proud Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by isthisLOL? View Post
From what I heard in the reviews of people attended the problem(or one of them) seemed to be the show being messy, without clear direction and without focus. But on the broadcast we were constantly GIVEN focus by the camera, when Ayumi may have been lost in the stage for people that were there, we ustream watchers had her nicely zoomed up and saw HER first, then the rest. Messy? We were only shown small parts of what's going on on stage. Stuff doesn't work well together? We don't see the things together in one image all the time. And so on...
Yeah, I think it's this combined with what HilaryDuffFanboy said: we probably lowered everyones expectations a lot. I've seen Ayu live a lot and I know HilaryDuffFanboy has seen her a lot too - I think five times he said. So, we definitely know what an Ayu show usually feels like there in the arena and this just felt different. Even people who were seeing her live for the first time were disappointed. Also, the Japanese fans who I heard at the arena and read comments etc online, by and large also thought this was not one of her best shows.

It seems for some reason this show really does come across better on screen then actually in the arena. It probably is because of camera angles and closeups; you don't get to see the whole stage, you can focus just on Ayu - but if you were seeing the whole stage from the audiences perspective, she kinda got lost up there.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing the broadcast of the show more, because I think I'll enjoy it more.
Old 2nd January 2012, 03:31 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

The way I saw it, it was kind of like Ayu was narrating the stories being told by the dancers ... but that is probably a big no-no in a SOLO concert for a SOLO artist. I wonder if that's what HOTEL Love songs was going to be like to begin with?
Old 2nd January 2012, 03:36 AM
Daybreak Initiate

I absolutely hated this concert, and for the first time I couldn't wait for it to be over. Idk if it was because I disappointed with the show/costumes before even watching or what, but I just know and that Ayu can - and has - done better than this. The costumes weren't all that impressive, and although Ayu's singing was decent, it was overshadowed most of the time by her background singers and lack of energy.

Spoiler:
First thing I noticed: four background singers - two male - just is not working. I was excited to hear Timmy had been added, but they're really just overpowering Ayu's vocals.

The cloaked solider thing was awesome - until they turned into clowns. Again. Well, it's like the song says: "do it again."

My god, I'm actually digging Happening Here live! The four background singers actually work for this song...for THIS one. I have a bad feeling every other song is gonna sound like it's backed up by A CHOIR, though.

Timmy does the rap solo! Awesome - as is his outfit/look.

High-note at the end of Happening Here sounded a little weird o__O

Clowns during insomnia. Oh, this is just lovely. As if I wasn't already deathly afraid of them, Ayu has to add background music. I'll definitely have insomnia tonight.

And~ cue chair dancing. Guess it's NEVER EVER time.

Oh wow, I was wrong. It's MOON. And it's pretty risque, between Ayu in her lingerie and... Maro? ...flopping around on beds. I like this!

fated on the MOON PV couch? Whatever works. *shrug*

Ayu still sounds like she's getting over laryngitis...

The unnecessary harmonies are really getting on my nerves.

"feedback" must be an interlude for the new album. I like it. Just not the clowns, tho. I'm really not getting them. Everybody's dressed like they're in a gang, then there's the clowns on the side.

NOW it's NEVER EVER - with a new arrangement. It sounds like a music box during the verses. I like it. And they "broke" through doors instead of bars. Would've been cool if they actually broke through them instead of them just walking through, though.

Not really paying attention to sending mail. It's not bad, but nothing special. It could've been epic had they come up with some decent choreography.

Another new interlude, "machine." Finally something that sounds circusey - but the clowns aren't anywhere to be found. I hope to god that's not not on the album.

And here's Ayu sitting during Sparkle. Timmy and Princess are sitting with her. Timmy seems to be getting more into it than Ayu. Really boring and off-key performance. Ayu herself seems bored. But they DID extend the "NO NO NO" for this concert.

Ayu's not even into Humming 7/4. She's standing in front of her dancers. She just seems lethargic, even when trying to pump up the crowd. Something's really off...

Really off. I'm genuinely concerned now. She's just like... "eh..." Definitely not herself.

Nice new routine with the dancers up in the air with sheets instead of the tissue.

RAINBOW time. And I'm disappointed already. The "ooh ooh's" from the background singers are just entirely too loud.

Ayu keeps putting her hand on her stomach... >_>

HAPPY NEW YEAAAAAAAAAR! \(^^)/

Wow, Ayu's crying after the countdown! Like legitimately crying. THAT'S IT, SHE'S PREGNANT.

November sounds GREAT. Would've been better if it was just Ayu without Shuya, but at least it wasn't a flail fest like usual. Still the highlight of the show for me so far, though.

Oh, here's the tissue dance. I like it, as well as the interlude. It had some structure and story this year instead of just the dance, and looked very pretty with the red.

New "softer" arrangement for Ladies Night. I'm also liking the costumes and fans. I wish Ayu would've been more active during the song, but it's not boring at all like I was expecting.

PARTY QUEEN! Again, wishing for more activity on Ayu's part, but still a great song. I like the "LOVE" sign too.

Happening Here was good the first time, but not good enough to be performed twice.

LOL, Timmy and Ayu missed the curtain! XD

Love song. And let me finish the main set by saying this concert has been extremely boring to me so far. I think this is one of the first concerts that I can't wait to finish

Yay, dancing A time! Isn't it sad that this is one of the most exciting parts of the concert thus far?

Timmy spoke English during the MC. That was a nice surprise. He's really cute ^^

I really like "how beautiful you are" and the melody. I just hope the background vocals are toned down a little bit on the CD. Another show highlight, nonetheless.

TRAUMA! THERE'S MY AYU!

Boys and Girls. I think this the most energetic she's been the whole show. Probably because she knew it would be over soon.

Ah, she screwed up the words again! XD

Skipped through MY ALL. Thank god it's over.

Highlights:

-I never thought I'd say this, but Happening Here!

-MOON

-November

-how beautiful you are and encore

Ayu official wallpapers in widescreen
♥ Mrs. Kwon Jiyong since 10/21/12 ♥

Last edited by tasking; 2nd January 2012 at 03:41 AM.
Old 2nd January 2012, 04:29 AM
ANGEL'S SONG H-Initiate

I do not see this 'lack of energy' at all. I thought she was the same perky overly dramatic-at-times Ayu that she always is.

Quote:
However, I don't like the silver dress--Ayu's cleavage draws too much attention.
On the note of dresses and drawing attention, that red lace dress was INCREDIBLY short. It was a mini mini!

Last edited by truehappiness; 2nd January 2012 at 04:32 AM.
Old 2nd January 2012, 04:33 AM
Endless sorrow Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasking View Post

It could've been epic had they come up with some decent choreography.
I thought this about A LOT of the choreography -_-
Old 2nd January 2012, 05:17 AM
walking proud Initiate

^ Yeah, I thought that during the concert too. If you are going to highlight the dancers so much, they need to have amazing choreography and it's just not.
Old 2nd January 2012, 07:23 AM
(don't) Leave me alone Initiate

First of all, this stage is AWESOME.

My full review:

Spoiler:

do it again - Amazing intro. I love her vocals here and the dancers. But wtf @ the guy in the baby bonnet - do not want.

Happening Here - BOUNCING AYU BOOBS - best part of the performance really lol. I don't like this song but her energy here is amazing. Love head bobbing ayu.

MOON - Love the emotion she put into this performance and the passion in the dancers. Beautiful performance and vocals for a gorgeous ballad .

fated - Vocally not so great but so much emotion was put into this which made it turn out beautiful, especially at the end, aww.

NEVER EVER - My goodness she looks hot in this dress. There is no way she is pregnant lol she's so thin. Fantastic emotional performance. One of my favorites from this concert so far .

sending mail - SO MUCH POWER IN THIS OMG . She is such an amazing performer I swear. She makes everyone else I'm a fan of seem pathetic. I'm not even a huge fan of sending mail but this made me love it.

Sparkle - These shorts totally save this outfit. Her legs are amazing. God she is just SO HOT . I'm very pleased about her not doing the NL tour choreography here. That little bit of dancing at the end was so hot. AYU DANCE MORE PLS ESPECIALLY IN SHORT SHORTS .

Humming 7/4 - Better vocals here than the last few times she sung this song.. not that it matters much though since it's just humming. Love the energy here.

evolution - She is just the cutest thing here interacting with the audience.

RAINBOW - This is one of my favorite ayu ballads. The intro was quite nice. Sorry to the peco stans but I'm really happy she's gone. Ayu looks soo gorgeous in that dress and her voice is quite nice, though I'd prefer it with less vibrato. What a great song to bring in the new year. Aww @ her tearing up ;_;

November - Her voice here is so pretty. Love the shuya + 1 wing and water omg. This is so gorgeous and the ending ;_;

Ladies Night - LOVE those rainbow feathers. This performance is so fun and cute!! Another one of my favorites.

Party Queen - This song = and the live is so fun. Perfect after Ladies Night. The most entertaining perf of the concert for me.

Love Song - Well, it's certainly different.. I don't think this performance works so well for the song. I think this song is better off with just ayu alone on stage. But vocally it was good.

How Beautiful You are - She sang it so beautifully and I really am liking this song. It's simple yet beautiful and touching.

Trauma/Boys&Girls - Cute and energetic I've come to love her staples and am glad she doesn't get rid of them.

MY ALL - I'm really happy she's singing this again! Of course she can never get through without tearing up ;_; Ayu iluuuu.

Overall I think this will become one of my favorite CDL's that I'll continue to watch again and again because seriously, her energy was amazing and she really didn't have many vocal problems. I also love this setlist. Her outfits/hair were a lot better than the last few years. I can tell there was a lot more thought behind performances this time as well. I really enjoyed this concert and will definitely be looking forward to the DVD release!
Old 2nd January 2012, 07:32 AM
theme of a-nation '03 H-Initiate

loooove the stage~! It looks so fun, but Ayu does blend in with all of the dancers lol

I'm beginning to think she's sitting down so much because the choreographers didn't do their job, but oh well~
Old 2nd January 2012, 07:47 AM
End roll Initiate

I liked it!
the only things I didn't like:
Timmy should stay behind the scenes tbqh
Love Songs was too out of place
the female outfits for Party Queen were ugly
Never Ever little play was random,I didn't like it
retire the circus act

everything else was fantastic Party Queen,Sending Mail and November

Last edited by setsuka; 2nd January 2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old 2nd January 2012, 08:14 AM
UNITE! Initiate

This countdown is amazing!
Old 2nd January 2012, 08:31 AM
Initiate

I thought it was a pretty good countdown, could see the hotel theme throughout and she had a lot of energy, but at times there were just too many dancers. Also, I don't know if she really needs all 4 backup singers. Loved the ballad performances!
Old 2nd January 2012, 09:21 AM
SURREAL Initiate

I have the feeling that there are a lot of positive reviews suddenly emerging on here is due to all the negative comments from people who saw the shows on the 29th and 30th, and we all just naturally lowered our expectations. It wasn't her best show, but it was still incredible.

Old 2nd January 2012, 09:47 AM
Daybreak Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommy48 View Post
I'm beginning to think she's sitting down so much because the choreographers didn't do their job, but oh well~
This.

Ayu official wallpapers in widescreen
♥ Mrs. Kwon Jiyong since 10/21/12 ♥

Old 2nd January 2012, 10:11 AM
SURREAL Initiate

I wasn't able to stream because I was celebrating New Year with friends and family so I had to download and watch it. (Made possible because of Aderianu, thanks again!)

Positive: Her voice (I LOVED her voice in fated), her appearance, some costumes, she brought her lively song sparkle back, she actively went in a few dance sequences and the stage was awesome!

Negative: Timmy (wtf, is he doing there? I can understand that he was a part of 'Happening Here' but did he really need to contribute his voice to songs as Moon and Sparkle? NO, I really did not like that the camera concentrated on him sometimes as if he was the only backup singer...), too much backup singers (I felt like they overpowered ayu. I loved them during 'do it again' though), her short hair and the poor tracklist. I would love to hear songs as M, Surreal, Depend on You etc.

I didn't mind that she sat during 'Sparkle'. I really got demotivated because of the reviews posted in the other thread. I'm never going to read reviews again lol.

I think that this year's CDL and previous year's were the most disappointing CDL's, to be very honest.

Last edited by RayJason; 2nd January 2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 2nd January 2012, 10:53 AM
A Song for XX Initiate

I may not like the show really much but what is the most important for me is artist's vocals. Ayu managed to surprise me and did very well this time - her vocals were pretty decent. That's what made me very happy about this CDL :-) So I've got only few complaints:
All that random dancing in Love Song was a great way to ruin this very special song.
Happening Here looked more like a gay parade which was hillarious, weird and OK at the same time LOL. And it also made me finally realize that Timmy was that "woman" from Brillante (I'm still in doubts though :-)). Too much sitting was strange for Ayu concert, but at least it was OK to see her like that for a change :-) Weird costume choices...well, I guess it's easy to get used to, watching other Ayu concerts.

Last edited by Chritopher; 2nd January 2012 at 11:03 AM.

Tags
cdl 2011-2012, cdl11-12, countdown live 2011-2012, hotel love songs