[Jolin Tsai] Work Hard & PLAY Hard with Jolin in her 18th thread! - Page 16 - Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai
· Ayu's Official Site · Ayu's twitter · Ayu's YouTube · masa's translations · Misa-chan's translations ·


Go Back   Ayumi Hamasaki Sekai > Music Forums > Asian Music Chat > Artists & Bands

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #301  
Old 22nd November 2018, 12:48 AM
Linoa62 Linoa62 is offline
Greatful days Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: France
Posts: 4,657
Jolin has been filming the 1st MV for the past few days ! Today was the 3rd day of shooting.

______________________________________________

Not totally related to Jolin, but if you liked Gentlewomen:


Cheer Chen, the singer who wrote the song, is releasing her new album 沙發海 Sofa Sea on December 11th. Just in case you might be interested.



_____________________________________________
And 幸福路上 On Happiness Road won the Best Animation Feature award at the 55th Golden Horse Awards in Taipei (its theme song of the same name was performed by Jolin and released last year).
______________________________________________
I almost forgot !
Another pic from album cover shooting: http://www.jolinjenerationgallery.co...925&fullsize=1

Last edited by Linoa62; 22nd November 2018 at 01:00 AM.
  #302  
Old 25th November 2018, 06:08 PM
Linoa62 Linoa62 is offline
Greatful days Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: France
Posts: 4,657
Jolin's new album is called UGLY BEAUTY ! Release date December 26th.
This title has been confirmed by Jolin on her official Instagram account.

Last edited by Linoa62; 25th November 2018 at 07:12 PM.
  #303  
Old 25th November 2018, 07:23 PM
Marcelo Marcelo is offline
As if.. Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 296
Yaaay, closer to new material!
  #304  
Old 26th November 2018, 01:11 AM
cosmicfirefly's Avatar
cosmicfirefly cosmicfirefly is offline
Initiate
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 663
I like it, and now I can look forward to the release date!
__________________
  #305  
Old 26th November 2018, 04:02 AM
mi|kshake's Avatar
mi|kshake mi|kshake is offline
Voyage Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 3,164
Yay, it's nice to have a release date during the Xmas hols!
  #306  
Old 27th November 2018, 04:30 AM
JackieRos's Avatar
JackieRos JackieRos is offline
Curtain call Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 16,157
I will definitely buy this album!
I’m so excited!!
  #307  
Old 27th November 2018, 08:59 AM
Xianghua's Avatar
Xianghua Xianghua is offline
I am... Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,319
Jolin posted the UGLY BEAUTY cover on her Instagram in parts:

  #308  
Old 27th November 2018, 02:32 PM
Linoa62 Linoa62 is offline
Greatful days Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: France
Posts: 4,657
2 pics have been revealed:
Spoiler:



Quote:
“Face yourself honestly at 100% and you will eventually receive love and sincerity.”
“Music is my centripetal force. Follow it and you can find me.”

Jolin keeps asking questions in this album, exploring her own heart, she hugs her own dark and ugly face.
“Emotion has been labeled as ugly, but is that true? This time, I want to open all the ugliness behind the perfect surface. Spying on the emotions that I have tried my best to bury. Terror, truth and fragile stories. Ugly beauty, perfection is not equal to all.”

Jolin tried a new creative mode to write music. Besides Taipei, she went to Bangkok and Stockholm, mobilizing almost 100 musicians.
After experiencing a week with musicians from all over the world, she participated in the creation of six songs in one go: “Working with different creative camps, gives me lots of motivation, we can talk about music creation together, use different language to express what you want, in addition to being very enjoyable, it was pretty fun, the work should make everyone feel as much as I feel.”

In recent years, Jolin, who is interested in psychology, explored her inner world and herself through the book of Jung, a psychologist. Jolin said: “If I was not at 100% before, I would blame myself. I would think I was “not worth mentioning”. The UGLY face for me is part of an emotion. When you start to face it, the feedback you get is very good, more love and empathy.”

In order to match the theme of the 11 new songs of the new album, she created 11 sets of UGLY BEAUTY styles, 11 scenes and 11 different characters. She said: “Split personality, but it is very cool.”

Jolin spent NT$5,000,000 (143 051 € or USD$162,037) for the first MV shooting, Sandy Lam was shooting in the same location (Arrow Studio in Taipei).
They closed the door of their respective studios to avoid song leaks.
This MV shooting lasted 3 days: Jolin worked hard, merely took breaks, and could sleep less than 3 hours a day.
Her staff’s strong support gave her a fighting spirit.

In addition, Jolin’s new album UGLY BEAUTY pre-orders will start on December 5th (physical and digital version). Pre-order version is limited to 10,000 copies.
The edition has 4 different covers (randomly shipped) and comes with a 200-page hardcover photobook.
UGLY BEAUTY will be released on December 26th.

真理之口 The mouth of truth
Creative & Marketing Director by Jimi Chou
Art Director: Zhong Lin & Yii Ooi
Image & Art Director: Jimi Chou
Photographer: Zhong Lin
Album Stylists: Yii Ooi
Make Up: Yali
Hair Stylist: Joey (Hair Culture )
Art Design: Well Lee
  #309  
Old 27th November 2018, 03:00 PM
tokyoxjapanxfan's Avatar
tokyoxjapanxfan tokyoxjapanxfan is offline
SURREAL H-Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 8,677
Beautiful!
It’s really intriguing to look at.

It’s nice to see artists use their breaks between releases to think and really take effort in what they’ll release next.
__________________

"Remember, don't let others dictate your music taste. If you like whatever you're listening to, keep listening to it."

  #310  
Old 27th November 2018, 06:08 PM
Corvina's Avatar
Corvina Corvina is offline
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Germany/Japan
Posts: 9,404
I don't really like the two pics we have yet, but with a 200 pages photobook I'm sure there will be some better stuff included.
I do really the concept.
Though labeling emotions generally as ugly only works in Asia, I suppose.

People on Baidu are calling her out for plagiarizing Kyary Pamyu Pamyu with those lips...
__________________



「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」


Last edited by Corvina; 27th November 2018 at 06:17 PM.
  #311  
Old 27th November 2018, 06:38 PM
Linoa62 Linoa62 is offline
Greatful days Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: France
Posts: 4,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvina View Post
I don't really like the two pics we have yet, but with a 200 pages photobook I'm sure there will be some better stuff included.
I do really the concept.
Though labeling emotions generally as ugly only works in Asia, I suppose.

People on Baidu are calling her out for plagiarizing Kyary Pamyu Pamyu with those lips...
I was just wondering what the plagiarism accusations would be about this time around

EDIT (new articles just popped out about this big mouth): the lips have been created by Chinese designer Shuting Qiu who graduated from the Royal Academy of Art in Antwerp.
http://www.shutingqiu.com/
The "mouth of truth" of Jolin's cover symbolizes the many words you want to say which can't come out. The "fragile eyes" mean that Jolin understands our mood, because she used to be like this as well.
When she first debuted, Jolin Tsai had been maliciously attacked by netizens with the title of "sausage mouth" because of her lips. However, Jolin was not affected. Instead, she gradually made her lips become a feature. Now the album cover is about the mouth. It seems to be responding to her past.

Last edited by Linoa62; 27th November 2018 at 07:21 PM.
  #312  
Old 27th November 2018, 06:47 PM
Corvina's Avatar
Corvina Corvina is offline
Crazy 4 U H-Initiate
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Germany/Japan
Posts: 9,404
Well, it is indeed pretty similar even down to the "art style", at least it uses the same idea. But I'd just call it inspiration, the style itself is different and it's hard to be original nowadays anyway.
They also called out Kana Nishino's new best albums plagiarizing a remix album of Kylie Minogue and that's the same case. Not a big deal imo, especially if the artwork is simple like in both cases. People can have the same ideas.
Intentionally doing the same is plagiarism.
__________________



「変わらないなら 変えるしかない」

  #313  
Old 27th November 2018, 07:30 PM
Linoa62 Linoa62 is offline
Greatful days Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: France
Posts: 4,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvina View Post
Well, it is indeed pretty similar even down to the "art style", at least it uses the same idea. But I'd just call it inspiration, the style itself is different and it's hard to be original nowadays anyway.
They also called out Kana Nishino's new best albums plagiarizing a remix album of Kylie Minogue and that's the same case. Not a big deal imo, especially if the artwork is simple like in both cases. People can have the same ideas.
Intentionally doing the same is plagiarism.
I totally agree
  #314  
Old 27th November 2018, 09:09 PM
thinkingoutloud89's Avatar
thinkingoutloud89 thinkingoutloud89 is offline
my name's WOMEN Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Germany/Hameln
Posts: 6,398
I don't see the similarity. I mean, i know what they refer to but it wasn't the first thing in my mind (even more because this concept is more "dark"). Kyarys already was a play on that potato-toy anyways.
  #315  
Old 28th November 2018, 12:20 AM
ladyluthien's Avatar
ladyluthien ladyluthien is offline
Two of us Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: America
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linoa62 View Post
I was just wondering what the plagiarism accusations would be about this time around

EDIT (new articles just popped out about this big mouth): the lips have been created by Chinese designer Shuting Qiu who graduated from the Royal Academy of Art in Antwerp.
http://www.shutingqiu.com/
The "mouth of truth" of Jolin's cover symbolizes the many words you want to say which can't come out. The "fragile eyes" mean that Jolin understands our mood, because she used to be like this as well.
When she first debuted, Jolin Tsai had been maliciously attacked by netizens with the title of "sausage mouth" because of her lips. However, Jolin was not affected. Instead, she gradually made her lips become a feature. Now the album cover is about the mouth. It seems to be responding to her past.
Sausage mouth??? That is the craziest thing I have ever heard, she has such beautiful lips!
They also look like normal lips to me, just a bit more voluptuous than most.

Last edited by ladyluthien; 28th November 2018 at 12:24 AM.
  #316  
Old 28th November 2018, 07:06 AM
Baco__ Baco__ is offline
WHATEVER Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 432
Well, Jplin has already been accused of plagiarize a handful of artists including Ayumi, Madonna and Gaga for the most bizarre of the reasons (like when people said she was plagiarizing Ayumi for the cover of butterfly VS next level for the colors, iirc lmao)


I loved the pics and the inspiration behind it. I want one of those versions T.T
  #317  
Old 28th November 2018, 07:53 AM
Xianghua's Avatar
Xianghua Xianghua is offline
I am... Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,319
There was a whole website about Jolin copying Ayu. I remember when Greek Girl by the Wishing Well was released (this form i think?) accused the MV of plagiarizing the STEP you video. I was one of the people that started out not liking Jolin because of the "plagiarizing" until I realized that was stupid and now I love her .

So ironically I became a fan because of the accusations, lol.
  #318  
Old 29th November 2018, 05:44 AM
Baco__ Baco__ is offline
WHATEVER Initiate
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 432
I love this song and damn are the mvs so similar? I love step up and Greek girl by the wishing pond (?) never rang a bell to plagiarizing lmao
  #319  
Old 29th November 2018, 08:29 AM
Xianghua's Avatar
Xianghua Xianghua is offline
I am... Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,319
I think people were only saying that because Jolin portrayed 4 different girls in different outfits. It was released just a few days after STEP you, too. But that's where the similarities ended.
  #320  
Old 1st December 2018, 09:33 PM
Linoa62 Linoa62 is offline
Greatful days Initiate
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: France
Posts: 4,657
12/4 UGLY BEAUTY press conference
12/5 UGLY BEAUTY pre-orders start (physical + digital)
12/21 Release of the title song
12/26 UGLY BEAUTY release (physical + digital)

Jolin performed Butterflies in my stomach, I'm not yours, Bravo lover and PLAY at the 2018 ASIAN FASHION AWARDS in Taipei today.
At 1:48:35.
Closed Thread


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.